7.1 DVD's

decibel

are there any DVD's that can take advantage of the 7.1 format yet? Most are only 6.1 and I want to be able to show off the new 7.1 Klipsch THX ultra 2 system to the client (I wish it was for me). I have searched the web for movies or test DVD's in 7.1 and can't find any.

I don't think there are any DVD's in true 7.1 yet. Most use 7.1 Matrixing to mirror the back channel from a 6.1 dvd into two channels.

I'd say the best DVD to show off multichannel (I cant tell you from first hand experience though, just what i've heard) systems is Gladiator.

The LOTR special editions have DTS-ES(discrete) 6.1 soundtracks which are incredible.

The issue with 7.1 is actually one of disc space, consider the following:

-There is no discrete 7.1 channel Dolby format

-There is an FCC regulation that basically states any commercial recording MUST have a Dolby version of some sort so it works in all players

So, on a regular old DVD there's no way you're going to fit a movie, a dolby soundtrack, and an additional 7.1 discrete channel soundtrack. Blue laser DVD is the solution.

I'm not sure why no one has decided to release a disc with a super-low quality dolby soundtrack that then makes space for a second 7 channel discrete. Can all of these 7.1 sound processors we are buying actually handle 7 discrete channels? How would we test that with Zero source material?

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt you will find a 7.1 for a long time...

for now...7.1 is 6.1 with the rear center splti between the 2 rear wall speakers....the side surrounds are individual channels but the rear is one channel....

This is why most could get by with a 6.a set up as their rooms are not wide enough to warrant the use of 2 rear speakers....as this may put too much sound out and sound less desirable...IMO

Most 7.1 receivers...have the optin of tuirning off one of the rear channels so that you can have just the rear center...or 6.1...

Good luck