preferred audio inputs?

I recently upgraded my receiver, and I now have the choice of using either digital coax or optical connections for my DVD player's audio connections. Prior to the upgrade, I had to use a single pair of RCAs, so I believe either one will be a step up. Which is the optimal solution, or will they produce approximately the same results?

TIA

No way to tell other than to experiment as each receiver and DVD player is different in quality. Most to me are better via co-ax connection, but the wise user experiments. Heck that's a big part of the fun.

Your choice of digital delivery is going to bring you into the new age! Many people feel co-ax is better since you get a tight fit with the RCA connector as opposed to the toslink connector.

Is tighter really better? I'm with BobG, try em out. Most retailers will let you demo their product in your own home, so don't fret about it.

You are a valued customer that whose business is being sought! So kick back, audition cables and audition more cables, and don't forget...get a discount!!!

We needs must love the highest when we hear it!

This message has been edited by Quenten on 07-16-2001 at 04:42 PM

just my 2-cents.

The optical does appear "sloppy" in the socket and working with fiber optics for good transmission of the signal you need to accurately allign the 2 fibers (or fiber and sensor). However I have not been able to notice any effect on signal quality.

But TEST your system, for example when i watch DVDs I get a better image quality with the composite signal then I do with the S-video due to the crappy converter my TV has for S-Video. The image appears "blocky" as though there is insuffient (bit rate)data to display the image.

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

trendkill,

I couldn't hear the difference between optical and coaxial on my system so I opted for the coaxial since it's cheaper and more durable. Optical cables are somewhat fragile and the fibers can break when the cable is bent too far...and a 3 ft. cable will run you about $40 even at the Rat Shack. I use a 75 ohm gold tipped RCA video cable from Rat Shack for my coaxial...I think it was like $8 for a 12 footer.

GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!

Dave

This message has been edited by DLUngurait on 07-16-2001 at 10:03 PM

TK, I use both coax and digital. I was in a spending mood and decided to try out a more expensive toslink for the DVD ($80). It sounds great, I also have a nice coax cable for my CD player and I have switched them on my DVD player to see which one sounds better and cannot tell a difference. I used optical for the DVD player because my other digital components have coax. With a optical cable connecting the DVD and coax cables connecting the CD and cable box it only leaves me one of each if I add another digital component. The optical cable I am using fits tight in both the receiver and the DVD, so I am not too worried about stability. You should give both a listen and also consider future components and the amount of digital inputs on your receiver.

Good luck and enjoy!!

JT

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go with the consensus and compare the two side-by-side.

My receiver recommends using the coax, but it does not cite any particular reasons, which always makes me think the manufacturer just wants you to buy their gear (in this case, the cable).

Thanks again,

Trendkill

Trendkill:

I've noticed that much of the newer digital gear does not support optical connections. It appears the the coaxial connection is far better supported. As such, if you intend to add a separate DAC, digital jitter filter, or signal processor, you'll have a bigger selection if you go with the coaxial. In other words, if you get the coaxial now, if you ever add such separate components, you'll already have the cable. Not that big of a benefit, but everything makes a difference....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....