Forte II Placement Question

Hi,

I just purchased my first pair of Forte II's. I bought the Fortes to replace two Heresy speakers that I am now using as center speakers for two systems. I want to place each Forte speaker, in a wall unit, tight against a wall. Is this possible or does the passive radiator need more room to breathe and operate properly? Also, has anyone compared them to the K-Horn. I have a pair of pre 70's K-horns so I will be doing my own evaluation soon and reporting back.

Trader,

I recently also got Fortes. You don't have to tow in these speakers to get full sound stage, but you Will need to leave them out at least 12" or more from the rear walls to achieve a good sound............just my observations.............. IOW I would not place them inside a cabinet...............

The general theory seem to be that you can place the boxes so that the back radiators have half their size of clearance from a wall or corner.

I run my Forte II and Quartets like that. They're great.

It seems that your talking about building them into a very confined wall unit where the output of the back passives are very much boxed in. That may (will) cause problems.

If I'm thinking like you're thinking, I'd say that you need a nitch for them which allows 12 inches at the back and the sides. Even then, you're essentially setting up a type of horn and back cavity for the passives. But maybe not too bad.

Bill H. seems to be talking about what I've found with the midrange tractrix. Off angle reponse is darn good. They are magic overall.

Nonetheless, if you are building a cabinet with a receptical for them, I'd say to make it as large as possible so you can play with aiming the mids and tweeters and also not have too much of a horn effect for the passive.

On the other question. The Forte II are IMHO, the best direct radiator bass Klipsch made. Except in the best room, the K-Horns sound thin.

Gil

I wouldn't worry about cabinet placement but like Bill said, Keep them at least a foot from the rear wall.

So, if that means removing the cabinet backs as they appear behind the enclosures then I would do so if it wouldn't compromise the intregrity of the cabinet your putting them in.

Compared to Khorns.......well it's kinda like apples and oranges.

There is something to be said about the realiskm of the bass articulation that a folded horn can reproduce.

It's uncanny.

And, you would be surprised at the amount of valuble information thats available below 4000Hz.

The key word here being .....undertones.

It's all about the harmonics.

Regards,

John.

Hey Gil.

Looks like we posted at the same time.

Though, since i'm a slow typist (45 WPM), I think you beat me to the chase.

I support what Gil said......except for the related issue of the Forte2 being the best direct radiator.

Ha.

I must go with the Forte 1 on that issue.

Regards,

John.

I guess I'll scrap the idea of mounting the Forte's too close to any walls. I'll have to mount my new Forte's on top of RPTV, in my downstairs setup. This will give me up to 18 inches from the wall to the back of the speaker. In my up stairs setup, I have more room to play with placement of the Forte as a center speaker.

If the Forte's are as directional as you guys say I may have another idea for an upgrade.

I currently have Cornwall (I's) on a shelf about 10 feet off the floor and about 3 feet from a back wall. The Corns are sitting on their sides and the top of one of the Corns is touching a side wall. Not the best placement for imaging and bass output.... Would I be better off selling the Corns and getting another pair of Fortes for this placment to improve imaging and bass?

Thanks in advance