The Four Seasons - SACD

garymd

I picked up Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" the other day on SACD and I'm extremely impressed with both the performance and sound quality.

It's on "First Impression Music" label (Japanese I think although the copyright is Switzerland).

Sonatori De La Gioiosa Marca

Giuliano Carmignola, violin

Anyone ever heard of them? If nothing else, the recording is first rate. Also includes Concerto For 3 Violins, Viola & Bass in F Minor and Concerto For Strings In D Minor

Recorded in Italy in 1992.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 11:26:42 PM Juba310 wrote:

I love "The Four Seasons"... I wish I had a SACD player =\r----------------

It's a hybrid and also sounded great in my car using the regular CD layer. If you plan on getting an SACD player in the future, it still may be worth a look.

----------------

On 6/24/2004 10:22:31 PM garymd wrote:

I picked up Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" the other day on SACD and I'm extremely impressed with both the performance and sound quality.

Recorded in Italy in 1992.

----------------

Hey Gary, can I ask where you usually get your SACDs? I've looked at a few of the online sites that guys from the 2-channel forum recommended, but those sites had horrible organization so it was a little taxing to browse through their selection. I only have one SACD (Beethoven's 9th with Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Telarc, multi-channel) which I picked up spur-of-the-moment at Borders bookstore to demo a player I bought earlier that day, and it was about $20 which is high.

I usually get mine at Tower Records (the store, not online) and sometimes at best buy. It's hit or miss, especially with something like The Four Seasons performed by someone I've never heard of. It's really a shot in the dark which is why I posted it, hoping to help someone out. I'm no classical expert but I know a good recording when I hear one.

----------------

On 6/27/2004 11:50:27 AM Bill H. wrote:

I like this site- that MaxG alluded too............

----------------

MaxG got me listening to that site too. But have you noticed that they're no longer doing full-length clips (oxymoron?) of the songs? They want you to pay $20 a year if I remember correctly in order to listen to the original full clips. I understand that Naxos is providing a really great service with the streaming clips and that that must take a lot of bandwidth (i.e. money), but I sure hate to see it go. Nevertheless, it's still a great resource.