Admiral Console Radio Question

T_Shomaker

There was a console radio for sale in the paper and it said circa 1960 so I decided to call for some more info. I talked to the lady that was selling it and she doesn't know if it is tubes or not. She said that it has a turntable that plays 78's and 33's. She said that it was in really good condition and that she would give it to me for fourty bucks. Does anybody know if this thing is tubes?

Thanks,

Taylor

If it is from 1960 it may be a tube model. That said if it is a tube type unit it is probably monaural.

I use a mix of modern and vintage equipment and respect many vintage models but caution you against falling into the trap of believing that vintage gear is by definition good.

Before laying down your $40.00 get us a model number and preferably a picture so that we can advise you better.

A decent $40.00 tubed console could be bargain day in the west but $40.00 spent on a piece of junk may be $40.00 that would be better saved toward to something you would be happy with in the longer term.

I should have added that the lady said that it was stereophonic. I don't have a digital camera or I would take a pic. If I do go out to look at it I could tell if it is tubes or ss. I'm just asking here because I don't want get my dad to drive me there and it ending up being ss.

Taylor,

Save your money. Admiral made low budget consoles and table radios, none of them are spectacular or anything to get excited over. If you want a nice tube radio, save your money and get a Philco 90.

The Admiral is either all tube or a hybrid (tube tuner and tube front end, with push-pull germanium transistor outputs). To my knowledge, the real Admiral never made an all solid-state console. RCA and Magnavox made better consoles.

TS

----------------

On 6/25/2004 10:30:08 PM Tung-Sol Lamp Works wrote:

Taylor,

Save your money. Admiral made low budget consoles and table radios, none of them are spectacular or anything to get excited over. If you want a nice tube radio, save your money and get a Philco 90.

The Admiral is either all tube or a hybrid (tube tuner and tube front end, with push-pull germanium transistor outputs). To my knowledge, the real Admiral never made an all solid-state console. RCA and Magnavox made better consoles.

TS

----------------

I was thinking about parting out the console and trying to make some money off of it. Ryan did you get my PM on the other forum?

Thanks,

Taylor

Taylor, it is not worth the bother. In St. Louis, you will be competing against cheaper tube consoles that come up every week.

Today's specials are a free console stereo and a $20 Silvertone(Sears) radio/record console in walnut. These bad boys are BIG and HEAVY, so unless you are working a Capehart or Philco with a PP 2a3 amp, or a good Fisher with 6BQ5 outputs, you will lose a little money by the time you factor in gas, time, effort, and then finding a buyer. The console itself would be fun to use in a demo derby of some sort, but lots of hard work. You can make money faster pulling weeds14.gif

BTW, the quickest way to figure out if something is tube or SS is to ask the owner how quick they get sound after turning it on. If they get sound right away, you know it is SS. If it takes a few seconds to half a minute to get sound, then you are beginning to play...the hunt is on2.gif

----------------

On 6/26/2004 9:22:30 AM NOSValves wrote:

Taylor,

Before you know it you will be entering the work force. Enjoy your youth while you still can. What about mowing lawns or a newspaper route ? That is what I did at your age.

Craig

----------------

Well now all the papers are delivered by people in cars so that won't work. I was going to mow lawns but there are no old people that need their grass cut. Our neigborhood is new so there are just a lot of younger people that all cut their own grass. I tried to shovel snow but that didn't work either. This one lady even slammed the door in my face7.gif