Dating LaScalas - help

mandi

Well, I know this is done over and over here and I do have some help but thought I would throw this out to some of you folks that have been looking at these things for years.

I have done my research (I think) so here goes

Ser number is 12415 and no other number has been rubbed off, or if they have been rubbed off they did a good job.

components

K-77M

K-55M

AL - 3

Okay the woofer was hard, had to get a mirror and flashlight to locate the sticker on the back of ROUND magnet. Hard time reading backwords so got another mirror to turn the numbers back around (used to have a long handle tool to do that, but that was in another life) here is what this sticker says

K-33 15162 4(ohm symbol)

67-90320057 G2

only found one assembly tag on the inside and it only had two initials

Cabinet Dept. initialed by Mr. EA on 11-7

Sanding Dept. initialed by JM on 11-7

So I would guess the woofers were built in 1967, how soon would they have been put in speakers? If anything has been changed out you cannot tell it.

Hey, at least we know they were built around my birthday 11-5 1.gif .

Thanks for any help!

Actually, with the Type AL-3 and K-55-M, they can only be after about 1990.

The 67 on the woofer is tne manufacturer's EIA number.

There should be additional numbers besides the 12415 you quoted, but they sound like mid-90s.

Thanks, Trey also helped me out and said 90 to 92.

I have worked with a few industries that deal with numbers and they always amaze me. Went to purchase a blade for an edger the other day but there was no sticker on it and they had the hardest time figureing out the number. Hmm, I wonder why everyone did not just use the number the mfgr stamped on the item. Oh, it did not work with their system. Now when they finally found the correct number, the number that was stamped on the item was in the description. Military and ALL retail does that alot. Oh well, if everything was correct and fast we would not know what to do with all the time we would have on our hands.

During the late 80's to early 90's there was bit of a problem with the s/n system making it impossible to know exact year of manufacture.

The AL-3 network indicates 1989 or newer.

The s/n on the K-33 does not suggest they were built in 1967.

The length of that s/n suggests the same time frame of the 1990's

mandi -

A retailer will typically have an SKU (stock keeping unit) (aka "item number") system that makes sense within their database. For a hardware store, for example, fastener SKU's might read something like first three characters indicate material (bronze, brass, 4xx stainless, 3xx stainless, etc.) next 3 characters indicate head type (hex head, pan head, flat head, etc.) next indicate driver type (slotted, phillips, torx, square, etc) next three indicate type (cap screw, machine screw, wood screw, lag bolt, etc) next four indicate length next two indicate diameter next three indicate thread pitch... you get the idea. The odds that a vendor that the hardware store is buying from use a numbering system that looks anything what so ever like the store's system is about nil. this applies to any product that the store will keep in inventory.

I love my Klipsch, but never thought of dating them. That would be weird. Worse than dating your sister. People would look at you funny in the theater or at Sonic. I just don't think it should be done. I give mine a hug every once in a while but if we are going out, it's only to the carport for a rub down with oil, not on a date. Let me guess, you are from Arkansas?