Satellite speaker design question

Hi, are there any mass market designs, that suit your fancy? As there is quite a DIY selection to choose from. A full kit with pre-cut wood or just electronics and drivers and build your own enclosures?

Are these for 2-channel, HT or both?

Include your musical tastes and other gear, with future posts, or fill out your "system profile".

Klipsch will not reveal, in blueprint fashion, their designs. You'd have to DIYsect one for yourself. Hint: use someone elses.2.gif

Last and certainly not least; How many clams are you willing to shell out?6.gif

I was actually looking at doing the enclosure and crossovers myself (I've build a digital light meter from scratch, so I think I can handle them ;-) ) and buying the drivers and parts for the crossovers. For the time being, I'm thinking about a 2-channel, mainly 2.1 (I like sat/sub systems). No amp picked out (I have an old one laying around that I haven't found among junk yet), but I want to keep costs down. Musical tastes are mainly modern/classic rock. Thanks for your help!

Hey, you might want to frequent forums like Partsexpress and Madisound, to narrow down a list. Many knowledgeable,(or people that can spell big words)post and reply to new and old DIY design topics. Be prepared to sift through archives filled with info on your quest. There's also local DIY gatherings to audition and show-off their handiwork.

Some words of caution; It can be more than a hobby, as once bitten, you'll be wanting to scratch that itch quite often. So now you can't say you haven't been warned. 2.gif

Thanks for the tips. I'll open my schedule up right now. :-)

Actually, I was surfing parts express (for drivers) and found a 4" midrange that works. I ran some software on a small case (>200 in^3) and was able to get the frequency response I wanted (160 in^3 case, down to 100hz +/- 1db, crossover point of 90hz, max output 102db clean). My question now is, now reliable are these simulations? I assume they typically are used for larger cases, so I'm wondering if it is reliable.

One other question: the net internal volume, which I had as 160 in^3 above, is the internal volume of the case excluding driver displacements, ports, and even crossovers, or is that excessive? Thanks!

----------------

On 7/1/2004 12:27:14 PM rjon17469 wrote:

One other question: the net internal volume, which I had as 160 in^3 above, is the internal volume of the case excluding driver displacements, ports, and even crossovers, or is that excessive? Thanks!

----------------

I have seen +5 to +10% on volume estimates. Probably need a closer tolerance for ported enclosures.

Who's software?

A 4"er is pretty small, but you only have to please yourself.9.gif

do you have an idea for a subwoofer?? size of driver? power? ported,sealed,etc? does the sub need high output(I think probably not because you have small sats???) If you were to build a sub from a kit I can strongly recommend the titanic subs from parts express. I got one and it rocks. they have three models with 3 driver sizes and an amp to match each. I have the smallest kit. my 10" sealed titanic is very tight and has reasonable shaking power. its only 14" cubed roughly and weighs 60 lbs. every part of it is built like a tank and backed by a very good warrenty/customer service. it cost 350 for that kit. but you'll need to specify your budget. I need to break it in before I really say how it performs. just thought I d give you an idea for a cheap very well built/sounding sub. parts express message board can help you out with other cheaper sub designs. I think someone may have metionioned this...

good luck 1.gif

scp53

do you have an idea for a subwoofer?? size of driver? power? ported,sealed,etc? does the sub need high output(I think probably not because you have small sats???) If you were to build a sub from a kit I can strongly recommend the titanic subs from parts express. I got one and it rocks. they have three models with 3 driver sizes and an amp to match each. I have the smallest kit. my 10" sealed titanic is very tight and has reasonable shaking power. its only 14" cubed roughly and weighs 60 lbs. every part of it is built like a tank and backed by a very good warrenty/customer service. it cost 350 for that kit. but you'll need to specify your budget. I need to break it in before I really can say how it performs. just thought I d give you an idea for a cheap very well built/sounding sub. parts express message board can help you out with other cheaper sub designs. I think someone may have metionioned this...

good luck 1.gif

scp53

I have given the subwoofer some thought. I was looking at a 10" driver, about 150-200 watts ported, something that could get in the 20's and have an output around 110 db pretty easily. If I just run a 2.1 system, the sats will easily hit 107, and I'm thinking about going 5.1 (because at some point I know I'm going to use it for movies and I'm going to probably buy a 5.1 reciever anyway).

I dont think building your own 5.1 or 2.1 for that matter is really worth it. If you consider that the system will be your first build, the system would also be an entry level type, and who knows how it will sound. Why not just build off of an existing system.