SACD / DVD-Audio hook up

schwock5

I keep getting timed out when i search, so bare with me if this topic has been killed already.

Currently my Suond Blaster Audigy uses my reciever's 5.1 analog inputs for surround gaming.

I am buying the Denon-2900 for movies, and sicne it has the SACD and DVD-Audio function, thought i'd give it a whirl. But from what i've read, it seems SACD and DVD-Audio isn't output through the digital connections, ONLY through the 5.1 analog outputs of the DVD player.

Is this true? Does this mean I have to buy the front port expansion for the Audigy card for $150 just for an optical/coaxial hook-up to my reciever so i can free up the 5.1 for the SACD / DVD-Audio?

Also, running an optical or coaxial line from my computer to reciever (i'd say around 30 feet going around the room) seems kinda of rediculous, as of now i have 6 30 feet RCA cables. Any input?

Correct. You can only use the analog outputs of the Denon for SACD/DVD-A. You could fashion a switcher by using 2 a/v switches (such as those found at Radio Shack), which would switch between 2 sets of 3 inputs on each switch. You'd need to use 2 switches to switch 6 total inputs.

wow, that's far from ideal. Thanks for the reply though. Any idea if the Denon 2900 will be updated with the Denon Link? If not, i guess it's time to upgrade sound cards, although does anyone know if the digital output from a sound card delivers 5.1 gaming, or just a dolby digital signal for movies on a PC?

If I understand your question correctly - there is no (to my knowledge) activity underway to remove the analog out (those six cables) of either DVD-A or SACD. The digital connections remain for 2 channel and direct connection of the signal to a separate dd/dts decoder.

So, one could run a single digital cable (provided the appropriate output exists from the PC) to a DD/DTS decoder, then the analog 5.1 signal (via 6 cables) into the Denon (or a switch, or an ICBM, etc.)? I'm asking a similar Q in my networking thread...

i Know the sound blaster audigy has an expansion card that features digital optical and digital coax out. I know with my 5.1 analog to my reciever, i get full 5.1 gaming. I do not know if the digital outputs work the same way. Does a digital output supply 5.1 channels, or is it a dolby digital signal that must be decoded? If it is the second one, most games are not dolby digital, and they will not be surround, i guess it's time to buy some sound cards, experiemnt, and return a whole bunch of stuff, unless of course Creative Labs can answer a few of these questions. I heard their customer service os horrible, but i'll shoot an e-mail their way and let you guys know what i find out.

I am very curious to start getting into SACD and DVD-Audio, but I also want to keep my surround gaming in tact. We'll see what happens.

----------------

On 7/8/2004 7:51:08 AM fini wrote:

So, one could run a single digital cable (provided the appropriate output exists from the PC) to a DD/DTS decoder, then the analog 5.1 signal (via 6 cables) into the Denon (or a switch, or an ICBM, etc.)? I'm asking a similar Q in my networking thread...
----------------

Hi Fini - I don't want to pose as the expert here, but in my research this is how I understood the issues:

The analog discrete signals are the result of decoding in the player - most universals decode SACD, DVD-A, DD, DTS and all versions scattered around that. I am not aware of a reciever that takes a raw signal and decodes SACD or DVD-A (however, I did not look into the existance of such a beast) - therefore, that would mean to play either of those audio formats you must have the 5.1 connected to the appropriate amplification. The biggest complaint I found is that this now requires bass management from the player that many of us have so painstakingly researched and set up through our recievers.

The digital connects perform as they always have - a direct passthrough of the the signal. There are some decoding options in the players before they pass (say PCM/DTS/DD) that are mostly focused on passing a distinct signal that is, for lack of a better term, unfussed with. Then you use outboard devices for other management.

2 channel analog out is still on all the units I saw and functions as it has for decades.

I am quite sure that both 2 channel analog and the digital signals can be connected and pass information at the same time as has been the case. I would imagine that if SACD or DVD-A is detected the signal will only go through the 5.1 connections. Since a two channel track seems to be laid on both formats (not as sure about DVD-A) there may well be a signal going both ways.

Lots of words for someone that claims a bit of ignorance, but i have been looking closely at this for a few days. The gist is pretty much right, but I may have stumbled on the details.

----------------

On 7/8/2004 8:18:08 AM hwatkins wrote:

The gist is pretty much right, but I may have stumbled on the details.

----------------

Keep that tail tucked-in, and you won't be a-stumblin...that's what I do! Oh, and train your gist to go to the left. I have a half roll of duct tape if you need it.

There DO exist digital outputs of SACD/DVD-A, but they seem to be proprietary at this point to the specific manufacturers components, and only between certain suitably-equipped models in their product line. I believe both Denon and Pioneer have versions of their universal players which connect via a digital connection to their flagship receivers, and will pass DVD-A/SACD between them on that digital connection.

However, I don't believe that will help any of you in this case. I say, go for the el-cheapo Radio Shack switch solution.

Doug,

And run 6 separate coax cables? What's the max distance you can run line level? I will have about 80 feet from the PC to the Denon. That's almost 500' of coax (that's why I was a-wondrin' about a digital cable through that sweaty, steamy attic, going through a DAC on its way to the Denon).