advise on using KG4's

getty

I have a pair of KG4's that I purchased in '86, I am updating my system, and I don't know if I should by new speakers or just more.

I am building I home theater set up in my basement, big screen HDTV & DVD. What center speaker and rear speakers would work with KG4's? Should I get a seperate sub? Or should I start over with all new speakers.

Thank you

If you like your KG's, then keep them. There are many matching rear and center speakers to be had used here and on ebay. I really love the sound of the KG's myself. You can also get shielding kits from Klipsch if that is an issue.

FYI: center channel could be many options. Consider KV3, or even a third KG4. Rears could be KG1s or KG2s if you like direct radiating rears like I do.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

HI Getty - I did just what you are describing (upgrading KG4s to a HT system). You are striving for the best possible tonal match, and there aren't any speakers that were designed EXPLICITY to match the KG4s.

I think the first thing you should do is go listen to new Klipsch speakers. See how you like them, compared to the KG4s. If money is not a concern, and you are willing to replace the KG4s, and you like the sound of what's available in your price range better than the KG4s, then it will be easier for you to get all new Klipsch speakers that are matched (like the Reference series, for example) than to try to match speakers to the KG4s.

However, if you like the sound of the KG4s best, you can certainly build a great sounding HT around them, which is what I chose to do. Search this forum using KG4 as a keyword and I think you'll find some prior discussions on this. You will have to chose between buying product out of the current Klipsch line to go with the KG4s or buying used items that might match them better. I ended up using new SS-1 rears and a used KV-3 center, which sound great with the KG4s. Others have used a KV-2 or KG2.2v (a used one is on Yahoo classifieds right now, BTW) as a center.

Either way, it will be a nice system. Whatever you do, don't sell your KG4s. You'll miss them. If you don't use them in your HT, put them in another room as a second system!

Doug