Help with spiking Forte II's

After reading about the benefits of spikes on speakers that are on thick carpet, I've decided that I'd like to spike my recently aquired Forte II's. When I purchased the speakers, they didn't come with stands so I can't put the spikes on the stands. There are already holes the bottom of the cabinet where the factory stands were attached, so I was thinking I could enlarge these holes and install the spike in those holes. My question is, do any of you know if this could be done without removing a driver...can I simply screw in the spikes from the outside??? If so, do any of you know if there is anything mounted on the bottom of the speaker cabinet I would need to be sure not to drill into??? I would assume that on the corners where the mounting screws for the factory stands were would be clear, but you never know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have a set of Target spikes installed in the bottom of my Cornwalls. It involved drilling a whole with the bit that came with the set of spikes. The female recepticle was tapped into the whole and the spikes screwed into the recepticle.

I don't think Target is around any more, but it was not very difficulty to do. The only concern is the depth of the wood at the bottom of the speaker.

The MDF is, by my estimation, only 1/2" on my Forte.

To secure spikes using the original drill holes intended for the base, will likely require you to go right through that. I would advise against it ... it would not be easilty reversible.

There is essentially nothing at the bottom of the Forte, not even insulation. The layer of foam is actually at the top. You would have to drill pretty darn far to reach the passive radiator, let alone the woofer. Nevertheless, if you ever remove the spikes, you will have 4 holes going straight through.

I would suggest instead, investing in a low speaker platform with spikes. Ideally, the Forte should be up higher, where the tops would be in the 40" range to provide a good dispersion when sitting. Sound Anchors makes a low platform base that is about 4" - 4.5: high with spikes.

I wanted to give an update on spiking modificarion. I decided to spike my Forte II's dispite Number 9's suggestions. I do plan on getting some risers eventually, but right now my budget won't allow for some quality risers. I purchased the cheapo spikes from Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-725) for $5. As I stated above my speakers don't have the factory risers so I decided to simply enlarge the factory holes where the risers were mounted. I was expecting to have to drill through the bottom speaker cabinet, but to my surprise I was able to drill the holes deep enough for the spikes (about 3/4") without drilling through the cabinet! The install was a sinch. After leveling the speakers off and placing them 12" from my back wall & 6" from the side wall, I fired them up with my new HK 430 and my jaw hit the ground! I was expecting a subtle change in clarity, but the change was anything but subtle. The clarity of the bass was unbelievable. Like Strabo has said before...that was the best $5 I've ever spent! All of you Forte owners worried about permanently damaging your cabinets, fear not.

I was fully expecting to have to drill through the cabinet and make a repair to cabinets when I got risers, but you're right...I got lucky. It's definatly thicker than 1/2 inch there near the corners...maybe its thicker there to provide clearance for the factory rider screws.

Having opened mine up, I can confirm the cabinets are definetly, and only 1/2" thick MDF and not 3/4".

However... there is addtional cross-bracing in all of the corners, with 1/2" lenghts ... so maybe the holes were actually strategically placed to take advantage of the additional thickness provided by the cross-braces. If so, quite smart.

Dflip,

Could you tell a difference after adding the spikes?

Danny

I found that it improved the bass. They were sitting on the floor before and the bass just seemed to get lost. I won't claim that it makes them sound better than anything else in the world, but there is a difference, a bit more punch. It was better than the before sound, so I would try getting the bottom of the Cornwalls off the floor. The recommendation was given to me by a local stereo shop owner who usually gave me very good advice, the tweaks kept working for me, so I tried some others.

Don