Need a sub to pair up with Klipsch Bookshelves.

Erukian

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digging deep and pounding hard will be difficult in any case around $300. Double that and you'll do MUCH better with a greater variety to choose from. The previous posted suggestions will give mediocre results, but you really do get what you pay for. A respectable response below 30 Hz you'll be hard pressed to find.

ps. For $549 you can pick up a 25-31pci from SVS and leave your sub worries behind. That should extend well down to 20 Hz.

jago out of curiousity on that list you posted it mentions that the HSU sub is the VTF version, I noticed this one is more expensive... Is there a big difference between the two subs? If not how come the VTF costs quite a bit more.

The original VTF-2 was $449 and had 150 watts I believe. It had Variable Tuning. You could set it for max extension or max output. The STF-2 is the same as the VTF-2 except it is set to max extension only plus it has 200 watts. The new VTF-2 MK2 has 250watts ($499) and is also available in a glossy black finish for an extra $100. Hope that answers your questions. 1.gif

God I only wish they sold those HSU's here in canada. I would probably pick the STF-2 over the RW-10 as well seing as it would perform better and the quality of bass would probably be very close anyways. My friend must have paid and arm and a leg for his STF-2. I bet its worth it though. Jago what size room do you have it in right now? and whats the usuable limit for the sub? 20Hz or more like 25? either way that thing digs really deep for a single 10inch driver.

usable limit is around 22-23 hz. there is some 20hz output, but it is rather lower than the rest (drop off). of course, depending on room response (and corner loading), you may still get decent 20hz response at listening position.

however, my overall choice for 10inch sub is the Onix UFW-10... better than the STF-2 in every way.

My room is about 15x15. I don't have an spl meter, so it's hard to tell what kind of output im getting at 20hz. If I lean against the wall however, I can feel it vibrating. The UFW-10 is a great subwoofer. But it costs $600 and it really doesn't go much lower in freq. than the STF-2. It's rated at 25hz -2db, while he STF-2 is 25hz -3db. It's probably more musical though.

the UFW-10 is probably quite musical but for the price the STF-2 is simply a "better buy"

Paying double for essentially the same performance isn't something I would do. There are plenty of good 10 inch subs out there, some are better than others. And perhaps not everyone is interested in less than 30hz bass, as the majority of the energy in most DVDs LFE channels today revolves around 30hz range for deep bass.10.gif

----------------

On 7/20/2004 3:22:44 PM xcjago wrote:

93 db at 20hz is mediocre? That's higher than the SVS 20-39CS. Pretty damn good for $349.

----------------

They don't even sell that old model anymore. And 93 db at 20 Hz is mediocre.