Speaker - Break In time...Is that true?

BillA

I ain't arguing here, but on the topic of "listener break-in" vs. "speaker break-in", if the listener's change their listening "habits" when confronting new speakers, then none of us could go over to somebody else's house and determine if their setup was any good or not...

In my estimation, that alone discounts the "listener" break-in theory. Haven't we all listened to somebody else's stereo that sounded pretty darn good?

DM2.gif

Based on D'Apolito's statement and the JBL above, at least woofers change a bit. Of course they're not telling us how much the change might be.

I had thought about the number of flexes it takes to change the elasticity of the surround (as there seems nothing else which can change).

You hit a woofer with 60 Hz and in one minute you have 3600 flexings. And is you hit a tweeter with 6000 Hz for one minute you have 360,000 flexings. You'd think that many would break in just about anything.

Guesswork on my part, but you can see the numbers.

The odd thing is that people are talking about days or weeks of break-in. Even at one hour per day, that is a lot of flexings. I wonder if it can possibly take that long.

Gil

Just adding my 2 cents...

Some speakers do and some don't. I just got some RB-25 for surrounds (ran tehm as mains just to find out what they sounded like) and they sounded fabulous out of the box (a pretty fine small speaker with $4K in electronics driving them!).

My ET LFT VIII's on the other hand took about six weeks. Thought it was my imagination but my wife totally agreed.

Interesting thoughts.

I think of it in terms of how it was engineered?

What would be considered a fair amount of flexes for a "break-in" period?

If given the average warranty for a loudspeaker is 5 years, and we listened to a 60Hz tone 1 hour a day, seven days a week, for the enire 5 years....your looking at 45,990,000 total flexings for that one tone alone.

That's alot.9.gif

But, i think the problem is far more complex.

First, you have to take in to consideration the physical attributes of driver in question. (Xmax-Qms-etc)

IMO. This is were it would seem to make the most difference.

Second, are we feeding the driver in question it's full capable range as far as allowed by any given crossover slope or are the usable frequencies propagated sporadically as it would be with most music venues?

Third, I suppose would come along the lines of wondering what the thermodynamic effects on the type

surround material in question.

There, of course would be other factors involved as well, but I think the above few elements beg certain questions.

I do wonder about these things.

To conceptualize the amount of flexes the woofer in my Khorn would make with it's full usable range in the same afore mentioned situation is mind bending.

It has to be in the billions and it's crossed over at 500Hz.....

I'll bet the RF7s move somewhere in the order of trillions of times in the same case.

Humble regards,

John.