RF-7's - What Receiver?

guapo

lol , well volume isnt the problem, Im sure anyone with the 7s can agree.

Ive listened to the 7s with seperates and they sound so much more rich and full. I fully intended on going seperates one day, when the tree starts to blossom those beautiful green square leaves.2.gif

----------------

On 7/26/2004 8:29:40 PM Skidmarks wrote:

lol , well volume isnt the problem, Im sure anyone with the 7s can agree.

Ive listened to the 7s with seperates and they sound so much more rich and full. I fully intended on going seperates one day, when the tree starts to blossom those beautiful green square leaves.
2.gif

----------------

For movies, there is not that much of a difference. But, for music.......

Ahhhhh........separates. Rich and full. That's pretty accurate with respect to RF-7s and separates. Here's hoping your tree blossoms soon.

As to the question in this thread, I also advocate listening to one of the Rotel receivers before making your purchase. Even the least powerful of the Rotel receivers would probably suit you well with the RF-7s. At least get you closer to that separates sound than most of the other receiver options.

The B&K receiver (507) would be my second recommendation, but that is out of your price range.

Carl.

----------------

On 7/18/2004 10:47:42 PM guapo wrote:

I also noticed people writing about running their Receivers as pre-amps. Down the line if I wanted to upgrade to separates, would I just need to purchase an AMP and run it off a receiver I bought?

----------------

Down the road, you can start out by adding an amp to the receiver, but as some may have already mentioned, don't expect a dramatic or drastic improvement in the quality of the sound by doing so. You probably will not get your biggest improvement in sound quality until you switch to a quality pre/pro. The one exception may be using a Rotel or B&K receiver for a pre/pro because they share some of the same processor technology as those companies' pre/pros, but I honestly cannot tell you because I have not read much from owners of those receivers who later decided to attach them to some amps.

In my experience the pre/pro affects the overall sound more than the amp does, and often, the best amps for reference speakers are the ones that just stay out of the way (running neutral or even warm-sounding).

One final thing. When you get to the stage where you are seriously considering separates, try to audition them in your home if you can. The next best thing is to take some smaller Klipsch speakers (with titanium tweeters/horns) and hook them up to the amp or pre/pro. When I was shopping for separates, I auditioned as many as I could and I was glad I did so. Some combos did not sound as good with my speakers as thought they would, based on the posts of owners of the stuff. Bottom line. If you can, just don't take our word on it. Listen for yourself.

Good luck in your search.

Carl

• 2 months later...

i actually have two systems for two channel i have two nad 216thx's bridged together a nad pro monitor series 1000 pramp a nad 515 5 disc cd changer run through klipsch kg4's and for surround i have a yamaha rxv2200 6.1 receiver a panosonic 32' gaoo and a toshiba sd-3205 5 disc dvd changer and pro-linear speakers from my experience seperates are definately the way to go.i went with a reciever because of my budget,however if your room is small to medium in size or if you are restricted on the volume you can play your music or movies at a good quality reciever is not as noticable in sound quality from seperates as it is in a large room or at very high volumes.