Best Absorption Panel for the Money?

WhoozYoDaddy

Hey. I have a fairly small room (12' X 12') with a lot of echo. I was looking for Absorption panels but they are rather expensive...$200 a peice!!! I cant afford that 15.gif . I did see these though, $75 for 4 9.gifhttp://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=SNXJRCHF&product_name=Juniors%20Acoustic%20Panels

Can anyone tell me if they are good?. Whats the best I can get if I spend $250? How much of this stuff will I need? An entire wall full?????!

Without a doubt, the best panel is the one you make yourself. I will be putting up my story of acostic treatment 'on the cheap' within a day or two, but one of the highlights is that the 2x4 panels I made were under $10 each, although they required some work and a couple of tools to make.

For more detail and pictures, watch for my post. But don't think that the panels you make yourself will be ugly - mine look quite good... and the last few I made look very close to factory-made ones.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 12:28:12 PM WhoozYoDaddy wrote:

Hey. I have a fairly small room (12' X 12') with a lot of echo. I was looking for Absorption panels but they are rather expensive...$200 a peice!!! I cant afford that
15.gif
. I did see these though, $75 for 4
9.gif

Can anyone tell me if they are good?. Whats the best I can get if I spend $250? How much of this stuff will I need? An entire wall full?????!

----------------

Those are made by Sonex. Sonex makes a good product. I've used them for years. The price is not bad either, however, if you need more, its probably more economical to find a local professional sound contractor and try to buy an entire box from them. You'll have to cut the sheets as they are larger. And they will probably have a thicker material (3-4") which will provide wider absorption bandwidth.

You might also want to check out http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040721085005024015232212932483/g=home/search/d=tp?q=Auralex

They have Auralex Designer Series DST114 1'x1'x2" 24 Pack for $75. This might give you a little more flexibility and distribution in the placement of the absorptive materials.

And forget, absorption is NOT the key to good acoustics. Its a combination of absorption, diffusion, and of course, proper room proportions and size to begin with.

----------------

On 7/20/2004 12:55:20 PM meuge wrote:

Without a doubt, the best panel is the one you make yourself. I will be putting up my story of acostic treatment 'on the cheap' within a day or two, but one of the highlights is that the 2x4 panels I made were under $10 each, although they required some work and a couple of tools to make.

For more detail and pictures, watch for my post. But don't think that the panels you make yourself will be ugly - mine look quite good... and the last few I made look very close to factory-made ones.

----------------

The only problem I have with this is you have no idea what the absorption coefficient is and at what frequencies so you have no idea what the performance is over a specified bandwidth. There's enough 'guesswork' involved with acoustics the way it is, but there are certain principals which can be followed. Why compound the situation with more unknowns? If making your own stuff gets you off, great. But as I said in the above post, there's more to acoustics than just absorption. For instance, both the Sonex and Auralex products mentioned above are not 100% absorptive at any audible frequency. What happens to the sound that is not absorbed? Its reflected. And the multiple angled surfaces on these products provide much more in the way of diffusive qualities to the unabsorbed sound, which is something that flat panels to not achieve, even when angled. Just some food for thought.

2.gif

• 5 weeks later...