Good choice...... Klipsch Academy?

edbl85

Just purchased a set of chorus 2's. Previously had carver tfm-25's. Good match or not? Secondly, I may have the opportunity to purchase an Academy. What is a maximum price to pay for this speaker. The final question I have, what rear surrounds match this setup?

The Academy is THE matching center channel for the Chorus. They are relatively rare, so their price can go quite high. As for surrounds, there are no surrounds per se for the Chorus II. Forte IIs, Quartets, and of course more Chorus IIs offer the best voice match. Naturally a pair of Academies would make fine surrounds, but the price makes this impractical.

Ed-

Congrats on the Chorus IIs. They are a great speaker. Yes, an Academy is the best match for a "small" center channel. I say "small" because another Chorus II (or its smaller brothers, Forte II or Quartet) would be ideal, but those are pretty large speakers.

In terms of pricing, figure on about $500 or so, with shipping extra. If you can find one for less, buy it in a heartbeat, as you'll not be disappointed. For rear surrounds, I really like the Forte II, but any of the Chorus II/Forte II/Quartet line would be great. If space is limited, look at the KG 1.2/1.5 or 2.2/2.5 series. I had two sets of the KG 1.2 with my Forte IIs in a 7-ch HT system before I got the Chorus II, and still have a pair for back center. They match up pretty well with the big Chorus IIs, and if you are looking at just a HT system, not multi-channel audio, they will do quite nicely.

I am always amazed at the prices Academys sell for.

For the price of a Academy, you could probably buy another set of Chorus or fortes. Use the second for a rear center of a 6.1, or sell it to someone else here to reclaim part of your investment.

Either way, you have a start to a great sounding HT.

JM

This is indeed the problem though. Most will only have a small amount of room above or below the TV for a center channel....many won't ever even want to place a set of main sized speakers in the rear of the room.

Even the Academy poses size problems for many, but it's a heck of a lot smaller than it's nearest family member. I wouldn't be surprised if many space-conscious enthusiasts went for three academy's or more for center/surround duty and were willing to pay the premium.

I had thought briefly of making some academy's but the scaling would not lend well to the demand. At one off pricing, not even counting wood and time you are looking at about $300 for the drivers/crossover. Add in a nice set of terminals, grill, etc and you are probably going to have to sell at $500 for a plain mdf box and much more if veneering to make it even worthwhile...even with 1000 buyers I would doubt you could shave much off of that to sway someone from just picking up a real academy. The cuts are simple, but the hard part I'd think would be dealing with buyers claiming they can buy a *real* Academy right now for $300 and then those that elect to go plain or with perhaps vinyl/paper laminate complaining it doesn't quite match the other Klipsch's they have...

Now DIY and a one-off, esp if you can source used drivers and can accept a plain jane enclosure, a price close to $200-250 is probably easy.....but even then at $400-500 for two, you'd be back at the prices for a 'good-deal' set of the mains.

If only the tweeter matching was the concern this could even be cheaper as the OEM drivers were not common and a big contributor to the project price.

Thanx guys. I'll probably purchase the Academy. In the near future, I'll invest in another set of chorus 2's. Are there any forum members with a nice set in oiled oak, who would like to part with them for the right price? The preamp/tuner I'm using is a carver ct-17 which is only dolby prologic. Does anyone have suggestions as to what preamp/tuner would offer 6.1 or 7.1 sound to go along with my carver tfm-25's?

';l1.gif1.gif1.gif