Benfits of of adding a pc to home theater system?

YENDOR

I am planning on building a HTPC this winter.

Over the last year, I have seen two of them and have been very impressed. The best one so far has been at FlyingV's house.

Basically the advantage is - You get the performance of a $15K line doubler and scaler, for the price of a $2K or less, high end PC.

Like Doug said, the AVS is a great site to do your research.

JM

----------------

On 7/22/2004 6:05:44 AM j-malotky wrote:

I am planning on building a HTPC this winter.

Over the last year, I have seen two of them and have been very impressed. The best one so far has been at FlyingV's house.

Basically the advantage is - You get the performance of a $15K line doubler and scaler, for the price of a $2K or less, high end PC.

Like Doug said, the AVS is a great site to do your research.

JM

----------------

There are other advantages as well.

If you're willing to make the investment in hard drive space (not a huge one, really - 200GB SATA drives go for less than $150 apiece these days, and most current mobos support SATA RAID) and a good stout audio card, you can keep your entire catalog of CD's and DVD's in one box. Add an RF Wireless keyboard and mouse, or better yet (as I do in my deployments) a small permanent-mount touchscreen monitor, and blammo - instant access to high quality sound and video on-demand.

All kinds of other options, too - HD Tuner cards, wireless networking for whole-house audio, the choices are dizzying - but a well-implemented system can make enjoying your entertainment investment soooooo easy.

I use the MY-HD 120 tuner card and can record to the hard drive and/or

JVC D-VHS VCR with no perceptable loss in quality. If you do any video editing

you can render your pictures (slides) into HD quality and show it back with

sound on the Tuner card system with stupendous quality if the pictures are

at least 2000 x 2000. If you have the Cineform codec you can capture the videos from the JVC deck and convert them to avi files for editing and the MY-HD files can also be converted. The new JVC HDV-Mini DV deck can also be used. All of this stuff works using the 19.4-7 meg data stream (same as the networks use to transmit there HD data) and that's why you cannot see any difference in quality from what you see on the networks.

MY HD-120---www.digitalconnection.com

Cineform---www.cineform.com

JJK