Room Treatment, On The Cheap

meuge

----------------

On 7/23/2004 11:02:28 AM artto wrote:

Remember, its not about absorption. Its about (for starters) BROADBAND absorption AND diffusion.

The book "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest has Appendix of detailed NRC ratings for various materials and methods of using them. The book also covers separate chapters on the acoustics of listening rooms, small recording studios, control rooms, etc.

----------------

Very well put. I highly recommend the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" Artto cites. As a newbie to room acoustics, I initially tried some of the things others have mentioned in this thread - without much success. I then got serious, purchasing Mr. Everest's book and doing some more research. The Master Handbook puts many of the concepts and materials Artto is referencing in layperson's terms and provides a nice secondary source for those who wish to confirm what Artto has been saying.

Yes, you can properly treat a room for a relatively modest amount of money. But, there are some basic tenets that cannot be shortchanged if you want a substantial improvement.

Plus, properly done, room treatments will have much more of an effect on your overall sound than any fancy (or technologically superior) interconnect or speaker wire.

Money well spent.

Carl.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/26/2004 12:22:13 PM artto wrote:

More in-depth information on the specific products I mentioned can be found on the manufactuer's websites. ie: www.auralex.com

----------------

I've spent a few hours on the Auralex website. Check out the Acoustics 101 FREE, downloadable PDF file. It is a gem of a primer, giving you a bottom-up how-to manual. It also has some great links.

I also ordered a used version of the book mentioned earlier in the thread ("Sound Studio Construction on a Budget"). It looked good from the first 10 pages that I could preview.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems