Aging on Forte Speakers

Indyboy

I am considering purchasing a pair of Klipsch Forte speakers, and I was wondering how aging would effect the speakers. I believe that they are 18 or 19 years old, and I am about to go off to college in a year. I would like to use them for this year, and hopefully once I return after college. They would not get used when i am away at college. Therefore, i wanted to know if I should worry about aging and things like deterioration, dust build up, etc. Also, is there a good way of storing the speakers? Maybe i am being overprotective, but I just wanted to make sure that they will still perform well for years to come. Another factor that isnt of huge importance is whether or not they will hold their value after 2 owners and 20 years, in case i wanted to sell them. Thanks for your time

i have a pair of 85 Forte's and they look and sound perfect as if they were new. usually speakers with "rubbery like" materials used in the surrounds will last a long time before giving out. the cone itself is very durable and will more than likely last as long as you do. age usually isn't an issue as long as the previous owner kept them indoors and out of harms way.

Hello Indyboy, from another Indy guy! Apparently there's quite a few of us. When storing your speakers, please put them back in their original container to keep from abusing the cabinets. I just moved back to Indy after 8 years in the country and before that 12 years in Speedway (you others may have heard of it, we have a few races there). Anyway, I have EVERY box to EVERY component I currently own.

Also, keep speakers away from storage buildings that may harbour mice. They will eat a cardboard cone in a week. When I worked for a PA company we always kept a few cats around. Mice will eat through a rubber tractor tire to get to the rope cord within- a speakers worst nightmare!

Best advice is to use 'em! ALL THE TIME

Rock on my friend and please go to profile and post your system as it stands so we can help you with future questions better.