Odd CD problem

dgb

Well, the ever continuing issues with my NAD 541 continue. If I didn't love the sound of this thing so much, it would have been smashed into itty bitty pieces long ago.

The drawer on the thing sticks... bad. The odd thing is with the cover off, the drawer works fine. It in no way appears to touch the drawer mechanism though. WHen the cover is back on the drawer works a few times, then works going out but not it. Then it gets permanantly stuck trying to go out and in. Then it requires extrememe violence to get it open again.

My question is, how long could I expect this thing to run with the cover off of it, and how likely is my cat to get electricuted when he inevitably jumps inside of it? :) Seriously, has anyone had a problem like this?

I don't want to take it to a repair shop because I can guarantee they will pop off the top, declare that it works fine, and charge me $50 for looking at it and I have the same problem 3 hours after I get it home. I had a similar problem with my Nak (however it was over 10 years old) and it was $200 to fix. Not going to pay $200 to fix a CD player in this day and age.

Perhaps the cover is applying torque to the chassis and causing it to be out of alignment enough to interfere with the drawer mechanism.

A couple thoughts. Does the mechanism foul when the cover is on, but w/o tightening the screws?

If so, I think I'd feel o.k. about covering the unit with a non shedding towel or cloth and taking that off to play the unit.

So far this is working, hopefully it continues. Just took the screws and the drawer is working fine. Here's hoping! Thanks

----------------

On 7/22/2004 11:05:27 AM DaddyDee wrote:

Perhaps the cover is applying torque to the chassis and causing it to be out of alignment enough to interfere with the drawer mechanism.

A couple thoughts. Does the mechanism foul when the cover is on, but w/o tightening the screws?

If so, I think I'd feel o.k. about covering the unit with a non shedding towel or cloth and taking that off to play the unit.
----------------

A certified METOO post.

I agree that the cover screws are probably the issue ( in a way ). Try just placing the cover on and running the screws in only so far as to reach the end of the thread and do not tighten further.

As suggested above either the cover or the chassis is out of spec and binding them together tightly interferes with some part of the mechanism's function.

I had a problem with a old Sony CD player that was very much like yours. What I did was I put a small rubber gromit (or washer) between the screw and the side and very carefully turned the screws till it was snug, but not tight. That fixed it. How old is the unit and how long is the waranty? I have heard that NAD makes good high quality gear that is reliable for everything but CD players. Call up NAD and see if they have any suggestions. I find that often manufactuers can be very helpful in a situation like this.