Center Speaker

oober

The Academy is a pretty tough cookie to find. Occasionally they'll pop up on Ebay. Use every resource available (internet, phonebook, the Recycler,etc..) and with patience I'm certain that you will eventually find one.

Expect to pay $400+ for it. There are probably at least 10 buyers for every advertised Academy.

Wrong-O on the expected price......Based on over a years research, since I've been looking, EXPECT TO PAY $600+ EASY for a sonically and cosmetically good one.

The last one that sold on ebay (which had pin-holes in a woofer and crunched up woofer centers and chipped veneer and in Black (which is not as popular) sold for just over $400, not including shipping. And it was in fairly rough condition.

Thanks for correcting me. Occasionally there are some decent deals that sometimes come up. I just missed a pair of Forte's for $225 that sold in a local classifed this week. The classified broke on the 29th yet the seller sold them on the 28th. I missed the boat on that one. I'd like a second set of forte's to match my fronts. I am running RS3's as rears...

STILL looking for that elusive Academy

I too was thinking an Academy to match up with my Forte II's but at the price - $400/$600 - I figured that it simply wasn't worth it. Instead, I just scored a single Heresy II from 'the bay' this AM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5710655924&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

$103 (not including shipping) is quite palatable. This should work out for me as 1. my Forte II's are black so this matches, 2. I have Heresy's for my rear surrounds. The rear Heresy's are HWO, but it looks like the "O" has not occured since they left the factory. One of them has been dropped and then repaired (roughly) with wood putty. Once I resmooth the side and sand the whole thing, the intention is to paint it black.

Question is: has anyone painted a walnut, birch or other woodgrain speaker black? And if so, what is a good paint and technique to use? I have a compressor with sprayer so I think that would be better than to use a rattle can. But is there a preferred paint? Or should I stain it black?