What to buy,Thorens 124 or 125 ??

MICA

Hello,

I have a TD124 but have never heard a 125.

They really are 2 different critters, from what I understand.

TD124s are pretty cool units.

Rock solid and fairly easy to work on.

Parts can be an issue depending on what fails.

The rubber is all easily replacable, which is probably going to be in order unless the person who had it before you had already attented to it.

Belts are out there but bearings and drive units don't come easy from what i've seen.

All in all, they have a respectable performance.

I find them unique, as they incorporate a mechanical clutch plate type engagement unit for the main drive coupling. (parts unknown)

It makes them interesting. IMO

Some don't like them for this reason, but to each their own.

I, personally, have mine outfitted with a Rek-o-Kut tone arm (the long one) and GE VR15 cartridge.

Sounds good.

For a 50 year old unit, it plays vinyl just as well as any of the others in my collection.

Albeit, with a slightly limited range ala. the GE VR15........

Regards,

John.

BTW. I feel that the TD124 will and does have an overall greater equitable value than the latter given the nature of it in itself.

Just my opinion.

Here's some info on the TD124 http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/td124page.html and TD125 http://www.theanalogdept.com/td125_dept.htm

I've owned both and even though I like the retro looks and fearures of the 124 better, I think that the 125 is better value, easier to set up and is much quieter in most cases. I'd go with the 125 and SME arm (if you can find one).