Confusion with Progressive Scan

Kain

Some people are saying that you need a "HDTV ready" TV to "use" Progressive Scan. Is this true? I (will) have a Sony 34" WEGA TV (not XBR) with the Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD player, will Progressive Scan work?

Anyone? Confused.gif:

------------------

Computer:

AMD T-bird 1.0GHz@1.0GHz

AOpen AK73 Pro

2x 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV3 222

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB

AOpen DVD-1640 Pro (16X DVD/40X CD)

ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Hercules Game Theater XP

Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT

CSW DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES34M91 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD: Sony DVP-S9000ES

Receiver: Sony STR-V555ES

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-3

Mains: Klipsch RF-3

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12

Crap! Frown.gif

------------------

Computer:

AMD T-bird 1.0GHz@1.0GHz

AOpen AK73 Pro

2x 128MB Mushkin High Performance REV3 222

IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30GB

AOpen DVD-1640 Pro (16X DVD/40X CD)

ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Hercules Game Theater XP

Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT

CSW DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES34M91 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD: Sony DVP-S9000ES

Receiver: Sony STR-V555ES

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-3

Mains: Klipsch RF-3

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12

If most people on this forum are as "up in the air" about progressive scan and high definition technology as the U.S. broadcast industry is... I can see why there have been few replies to this post. I am sure there are other forum members far better suited to answering this than I... but as "nature abhors a vacuum" and I enjoy a 1080i HDTV, I shall try to get some discussion going.

Like many other electronic sound and picture systems in the recent past, the market "shake out" to determine which kind and size of HD format is running a slow and tedious course. The current trend seems to be toward a 1080 interlaced (i) broadcast format in a 16:9 ratio... particularly since a 1080p (progressive) format is not yet commercially viable... but is on the horizon. Movies, however, are better suited to the "flicker free" progressive format but will likely be at a 720 pixel base rather than the 1080. Most current progressive scan units are at 480p... or a 480 pixel base... about twice the pixel base of a standard TV.

(Note: interlaced broadcasts every other scan line in one burst and the other half on the next burst... relying on the persistence of vision common to most eyes to create an illusion of a whole picture. Progressive scan technology combines all scan lines - both interlaced bursts if you will - into a single burst usually at a rate of 60 full bursts a second. A pixel base is actually a matrix -1080 x 1920 - which is the 1080i dimensions of an HDTV ready set. Current HDTV ready formats are: 1080 x 1920 with frame rates of 24p, 30p, 60i and 720 x 1280 with frame rates of 24p, 30p, 60p. As noted above, 1080p is not yet commercially available)

Unfortunately, the device in your TV or projection system has to be able to send out a higher density of smaller pixels to be able to use either HD technology branch... interlaced (i) or progressive (p). Perhaps that might be a little more clear expressed in computer screen or digital photo terms. If you have a high quality but low definition screen, you will have very nice but somewhat jaggy pictures that may be OK when viewed as small photos or fast to sent over the Internet... but high resolution screens can put many more pixels in the same area and give much greater detail... and are really large to send across the Internet.

I gambled on a reverse projection Mitsu HD ready 65" TV because I could take advantage of all the high quality my DVD players and fiber optic high speed cable link could provide... plus it would likely handle whatever progressive scan DVD player I elect to add. This Mitsu has special 9" crt's for guns. They are equipped with "microfine" pixel structures to achieve their 1080 interlaced pixel resolution... which makes a huge (and expensive) difference in potential picture quality. Frankly, the DVD player side, I believe that there will soon be a great number of much improved (and cheaper) progressive scan DVD players on the market for the 2001 "Holiday Shopping Season" and have held off on my strong buying urges. Many on this forum have cautioned about buying under $400 progressive scan DVD players... but that is something I have yet to research. For the present, I have been using Yamaha's latest carousel DVD player with what seems to be excellent results. I have Toshiba's best 6 head SVHS VCR and it cannot begin to compete with the Yamaha DVD player on a 65" HD screen... although it does quite well on a smaller screen upscale TV.

So, from my myopic corner of the world, it seems that you indeed must have "HD ready" electronics in place before you can have the advantage of all those little pixels that build a more detailed, flicker free, image on your screen... but since the best is yet to come... sell a (metaphorical) child or buy a lottery (winning) ticket for "resolution" is just around the corner... more pixels in the same area for less bucks! cwm9.gif HornEd

PS: Here is a source to try for some basic information: http://www.basetechelectronics.com/faqhdtv2.asp

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall HD Recovery & Music Room Under Construction Smash.gif

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-22-2001 at 07:56 PM

sorry to be late jumping in on this one, i just saw it. here's my 2 cents...progressive scan dvd players output 480p (progressive scan),the particular 'benefit'of this i feel is still debatable for several reasons: if,for example,you are using a sony hd ready tv, incoming video that is not either 480p or 1080i is displayed(up-converted-or-'picture improved') as 960i,which my understanding is similar to 480p in overall resolution w/this difference;480p doubles the horizontal resolution,960i doubles the horizontal and vertical picture density.480p 'makes' the picture in one pass,while 960i makes 1/2,then the other half. so i find it difficult to see a difference. also, poor incoming video signal-(like 'average'analog cable or regular vhs) results in 'blotchy' picture quality when up-converted. also there is a school of thought that progressive scan is better for still pics and text, while interlaced is supposed to be better for motion. so as i see it Eyes.gif what advantage is there for displaying at 480p when you can up-convert to 960i (or higher w/some tv's/scalers/line doublers/quadruplers)?some say the conversion of dvd video from native progressive scan (all dvds are in progressive scan on the disc)to interlaced,back to 960i or whatever,harms picture quality-thus it might make sense to get a prog.scan player if a tv displayes this native signal w/out modifying it. throw in dvd-a/sacd audio ??'s, and 3-2 film pulldown, and suddenly buying a dvd player isn't such an easy choice anymore! anyway my 2 cents may have become $2 worth, i hope this helps.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

klipsch-so good it Hz!