DSP Modes: What do you use?

Nighthawk

Cruzer: Home theater? 5.1?

I personally only listen to music at this time so I really only use two speakers, but since the set of speakers that I wanted to match is discontinued, I wanted to get them all before they were completely gone. Plus, I know someday I will want to watch/listen to movies in 5.1 or better.

It's up to you, obviously, but 2-channel just sounds so real to me now, unlike anything else. They all sound very "echoed" and run together as compared to 2-channel. But, to each his own Smile.gif

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

Mains: Klipsch KSB 3.1

Rears: Klipsch KSB 1.1

Center: Klipsch KSC-C1

Sub: Yamaha 8"

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5240

if u put on a 5.1 channel source w/ most units that have direct modes, you'll get output on all 5 channels, and the sub if there's any lfe.

but usually not so w/ 5.1 in a 2-channel mode.

if u want 5-channel stereo w/ minimal dsp effect, u really need a receiver/dsp capable of that. not to belittle some yammy units cruzer & others. u wouldn't want to get rid of your 20s, but may want to look into that for a receiver/preamp.

but hey i had a sony that didn't have a good 5-channel stereo mode, but still preferred listening to a lot of 2-channel music w/ it's 4 channel dsp music modes like "live house". just needed to turn way down the rear delay & reverb like things. Smile.gif

No DSP for me. Sometimes I listen to 2 ch stereo and direct but mostly I really like 5 ch stereo. For me there's nothing better then 5 Legends hammering away in stereo.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 08-03-2001 at 08:30 PM

Hmmm, RWMIN, was I wrong when my ears asked for eight Legends? KLF 30's at mains, side/surrounds, front center and rear effects... KLF 10's on high for front effects... and Twin SVS Ultras fed by 1,000 watts to "bottom round" the Legend Sound cwm12.gif

Sorry, friend, I just couldn't resist your "nothing could be finer" and hoped that tweaking instinct was still intact... like hoping you might follow your ears and add a few Legends one fine day. In the meantime, you have a lot to enjoy... so get to it! Wink.gif HornEd

I am going to upgrade my Yammy with another Yammy (RX-V300). I want to follow Horned's advice and take advantage of the front and rear effects. BTW, I am using the kLF-20s as rear surrounds, C-7 center, KSB-3s front effects and KSW-12. Not bad...

------------------

Cruzer

'turn it up to 12' reminds me...i have a friend in the 'biz, and we set up a theater room in L.S.U.(go tigers Smile.gif)pete maravich assembly center w/the 777es rcvr, c-7,klf30's,ksps-6's,proj.screen,sony projector and two ksw 15's. i took a break from the show and went to answer mother nature's call.now this 'room'we had the equipment in was about 18x24 and had icynene foam insulation sprayed on panels we made walls out of using 4x8 sheets of plywood. well-they 'leaned' on the volume and i heard it in the b-room!! there was a 8x8 opening in the 'room' and i could tell what song was playing clearly! thanks pwk-you da'man.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I'll throw my $0.02 in with RWMIN. I avoid DSP modes like the plague, ever since I started with a Pro Logic receiver. All my my music is in 2-ch, direct, or, and this is what I like about the newer Denon receivers, 5-ch stereo. While I don't have room/money/etc for matching speakers all around, having 7 speakers (Forte II, KV-4, 2-pr KG 1.2) going at once is quite an impressive sound stage. The 5/7-ch stereo option off a receiver like my AVR4800 pipes the music to all 7 speakers (sometimes sub) with little or no additional processing.

What I'd love to see is a high quality receiver that puts most of the oomph into amps, circuitry, a better than average FM/AM receiver, and minimal surround modes. Maybe that way they could trim the price a bit since I rarely use all the extra modes, but I'd love to have great power and clarity for the modes I do use.

Ok, so my $0.02 may have actually been $0.25.

jhawk