suggestion where to put speakers

masterpp

i need some suggestion where should i put the speakers for my new home.

I'm planning to get RF-35 (x2), RC-35, RS-35 (x2). I want to put both RS-35 on the very top wall at the back corner. I marked with red as the speakers on the image. What do you think?

post-15641-13819257320586_thumb.gif

If WAF allows, get the sofas away from the walls, so rear channels are actually beside or behind you. Also recommend direct speakers for rears vs 'surround' RS series. Reason: Dolby Digital has discrete rear channels and you want to be able to localize sound, not just bounce it all over the room.

Possibly reorient system and sofas so you have a definite 'sweet spot' for viewing/listening. It does not exist in the proposed layout.

Good listening!

if your wife don t allow you to change the location of the sofas,

you can place you tv against the wall of the kitchen.

the rear speaker will be on the two little walls between each windows.

and one of the front speaker between the tv and the fireplace and the other

at the end of the bar.

it s not a very good solution of course but it can match the waf.

You've got a setup similar to mine in that it's not a room built specifically for Home theater. In other words, there's a sweet spot somewhere in the room but if you've got a family or friends that come over and sit on the sofa and on the floor like mine do, there's no perfect location for the speakers 'cause ya got people all over the place.

I tried the best I could to creat a sweet "zone" that encompasses all of the areas in my living room. My RS35's are about 6 feet up the back wall(which is NOT necessarily ideal by the manual) and 'cause my wife wouldn't have it any other way. They are also 8 feet apart. My sofa is right up against the back wall so the speakers are basically right up over my shoulders. Once the holes were drilled in my new living room walls....the speakers stayed where I put them! I hate repairing walls!

The sound is nothing short of awesome! As long as you have the right equipment and it looks like your thinkin about the right stuff, you won't have to worry too much of the precise speaker position. In my opinion, unless you build a room with the correct dimensions and the correct seating locations and the correct this and the correct that, you can't expect the sound to be exactly correct either. I don't have the money or the time for a dedicated room (wish I did)

Once you get distracted from putting in the Pod race from Star Wars or hear the stones rumble around you from the Mummy, you'll quit paying attention to EXACTLY where your speakers are and you'll just love it! Even though I have a super comfortable sofa, my favorite spot is sitting on the floor (which is also not the "correct" listening heighth and watching a movie that rocks the house!

Have fun with it!!!!

MUCH better room design!!!! Now your front lineup is symmetrical, and you still have a 2nd visual centerpiece (the fireplace-hard to ignore or turn your back to it).

Still, try to pull sofa's away from wall if you can (hey, buy wife a couple of narrow 'sofa tables' for books, flowers, etc, just to get sofas out a couple of feet). You may notice a huge buildup of bass in the corner of the room where you are likely to sit- it's critical to get away from wall and corner!

Also, I would not recommend placing the sub right behind you. Points for the kidney-kick theory, except that you may notice the localization of sound, ie, extreme sound effects that should naturally come from the screen will be noticeably BEHIND you. How about the upper right corner over by fireplace? It's a shorter line-level lead also. The corner may or may not be the best placement, advise you experiment. I heard a theory that you place the sub where you will sit, then CRAWL AROUND the room and find where the bass sounds best, then put the sub there. Weird theory, but it might just work. You're just trading places with the sub, the room acoustics work the same in reverse.

You're getting the right idea here, keep fine tuning your room. WIll there be heavy curtains on the windows behind you for to shield light and sound reflections? I highly recommend spending some time in the Architectural Forum reading the works of Artto. He's our resident expert on room design.

Good listening,

Michael

----------------

On 8/6/2004 4:11:31 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I heard a theory that you place the sub where you will sit, then CRAWL AROUND the room and find where the bass sounds best, then put the sub there. Weird theory, but it might just work.

----------------

it works very well.

glad that worked for you. I've not tried it yet since my KSW12 doesn't even come close to keeping up with my Cornwalls. I'll probably put it in the den with my ksb1.1 mini system.

BTW, where did you end up putting the sub. Bet it wasn't where you expected it to be?!?!?

----------------

On 8/9/2004 10:12:25 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

BTW, where did you end up putting the sub. Bet it wasn't where you expected it to be?!?!?

----------------

i ve a ksw10, it has good bass but it is not very powerfull.

the place it sounds the best is a corner, with some space between the ksw10 and the walls.

don t forget that the place where you put sub in a room depends also of who place the sub.

some people like big bass, other prefers discrete but very sharp bass...it s a matter of taste.

in fact, most of the times the sub end up in a corner with me.

and once the sub in a corner my girlfriend don t scream on me because there is a big black box in the middle of the room

9.gif