What to get next...

Gnomore

Ok.. currently I have a pair of KLF-20s for my fronts, a pair of SS-1s for my rears and a VERY bad center channnel that cost around $20 when I bought it 6 yrs ago. I do not have a sub yet. For my next speaker purchase, should I upgrade my center channel to something that can be heard over the KLFs (KLF C7 or RC-7) or should I get a sub?

If it was me, I would set the center mode to phantom, toss out the old center channel and buy a sub.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Gnomore... what a great handle! "Quote the raven, Gnevermore would have been such a memorable line!"

You seem to be between a rock (like music) and a role (like film)... and that's a hard place to pick between center and sub.

If you are leaning toward the "rock" side, get a sub and let the phantom rule the middle... that's far better than a rotten apple in your sound barrel. A really good sub buts a bottom to your tunes that you may never have heard before.

But if you would rather be on a "role"... remember that upwards of 65% of HT comes through the center speaker... and that is why phantoms fell out of favor as 5.1 discrete programming became the standard.

Remember, it is far cheaper, IMHO, to buy a good center than it is to buy a good sub... so maybe economics will be your guide. You would be well advised to build your system around a good sub and a good center... and fill in the rest as well as you can as opportunities present themselves.

Great sound is rarely a cheap thrill... and not every one knows the value of vintage Klipsch... so keep your bargain hunting ears open. cwm27.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

as cheaply as you can get a KLF C7 these days, go for it! and pick me up one while you're at it Smile.gif

I got mine for 342 with shipping from

www.acousticsounddesign.com.

Also check out www.ubid.com for great deals, too.

An overwhelming majority of the sound comes from the center. It makes a humongous difference when watching TV and movies.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!