24/96 - 24/192

Lankhoss

Next year I will be upgrading my DVD player and TV. I'm curious about the 24/192 DAC's. Obviously, they are top of the line right now. However, I believe my Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX receiver can only decode DTS 24/96. Would there be any benefit to me getting the 24/192 in this case? The DVD player I'm eyeing right now is the Samsung with the DVI output, and it only has a 24/96 DAC. I'm assuming that my receiver can't decode faster than that, anyway....and it will be sufficient.

Thanks!

----------------

On 8/10/2004 2:12:39 PM Steve Donalson wrote:

It's not the decoding capabilities of a 192 dac, it's quality of that particular dac.

----------------

Agreed.

Furthermore, the DAC's on a DVD player are functionally irrelevant unless that DVD player has a full complement of decoding systems available to break down all those surround formats and feed them via analog cables to the preamp or receiver.

Translation: You can put Burr-Brown DACs in a DVD player, but if you have to use the digital out anyway, they're a waste.

Better to put your money into the preamp that's going to do all the work.

Lankhoss,

The only way to actaully use a 24/192 DAC is with upsampling and with 2 channel DVD-A. Two channel DVD-A is the only sound format that uses 24/192. For example, the Eagles' "Hotel California" has both multi-channel (24/96) and 2 channel (24/192) versions on the DVD-A that are superbly engineered.

Without DVD-A capability, the advanced DACs are merely a marketing ploy IMO. DVD-V typically uses 16/48 encoding.

Bill