Satisfying the urge to buy some music!

Cleve

My music collection seems a tad stale, so I just ordered a somewhat eclectic trio of CD's from Amazon.com, ...

"McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke & Al Foster" - Telarc

"Organ Blaster Sampler" - Telarc

" 'Dark Massive/Disengage - Ambient Compendium' - Bill Laswell" M.I.L Multimedia

Any other recommendations? Ambient aside, I'd really like some music that puts my system thru its paces. Thanks!

Jim

Wow, I LOVE ambient/atmospheric (Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Pete Namlook, etc.) and I have never heard of Bill Laswell, but that is some good stuff!

Also, I would lump DJ Spooky (aka Paul Miller) in the same group. Funny, he is a black guy out of New York, and while he does some rap, some CD's are pure ambient. He knows his craft VERY well. Viral Sonata is a great disc for pure ambient. One of my all time favorite CD's (by him) is Modenr Mantra - it goes from some almost vulger rap (more of a satire, I think) to spacey ambient all on the same disc. Very interesting work.

Also, I think my musical tastes are somewhat close to yours, so I need to look at my collection and recommend some good CD's you might like. What other artists do you like?

Have you heard of DJ Krush? He is a Japanese guy who makes some excellent CD's. One of his traits is a moderate to strong jazz (Blue Note comes up a few times). One of his CD's for example is reggae mixed with some jazz, but it is so simple, but so amazing. Not corney at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ken;

I was waiting to reply until I received my My Bill Laswell 2-cd set arrived yesterday. Dark Massive is 60 minutes of pure ambient - ethereal, beat-free sonic tapestries. As the title suggests, it's dark and brooding. Now, Disengage is different - ambient beat and drums, with a little funkyness mixed in. I love these cds! BTW, Peter Namlook collaborates with Bill on two cuts on this CD - Angel Tech on 'Dark Massive' and Black Dawn on 'Disengage'

Thanks for the recommendations. I've listened at Amazon to some samples of DJ Spooky - definitely on my 'buy' list. I've added 'Viral Sonata' to my cart at Amazon - I'll definitely send an order in within a week or two

If you do like Ambient, you MUST check out Sleepbot.com Sleepbot is a streaming MP3 station that plays all ambient, from an enormous variety of artists. I think it's the best on the web. Also, the webmaster's archive of ambient artists contains jillions of music samples. Check out the duo 'Windy and Carl' Their album Antarctica is now in my cart at Amazon as well.

Okay. Two suggestions. The first is 'Agnus Dei' - Music of inner Harmony, by the Choir of New College, Oxford, on Erato no. 0630-14634-2. This is sensational. The first track will make your hair stand on end - especially through Klipschorns.

The next is the best of Steely Dan 'Remastered' on MCA no. MCD 10967. Great sonics, but try track 5, 'Hey Nineteen'. Yeah, I know, everyone's heard it before, but the sonics are like the taste of a thick slice of chocolate mudcake, you can't get enough of it. 3.gif