What games would make use of 5.1s?

CaseMan

ok, two questions really: what games out there right now have great frickin sound/music, and deserve the best speakers you can find? some games sound like crap regardless of the quality of speakers. but i'm sure some deserve the power and subtlety of the klipsch's.

secondly, what pc games support 5.1 sound? is that going to become a standard within the next year or so? i've heard that games only make use of 4 speakers, and don't implement the center channel. what's the deal?

Yah, a lot off games don't support 5.1 sound, but if you DO want to be able to get 5.1 sound from EVERY game out there, pick up a Philips Acoustic Edge sound card. It'll even take regular stereo signals like mp3's and split it up into 5.1 sound.

Nope, the AE is currently the only card that can take regular stereo signals and turn them into a 5.1 sound.

As for the AE's method not being that good, heh, have you tried the AE? I'm currently using it, and it kicks complete ***! I swear, when I'm sitting here listening to mp3's, I'm looking over my left or right shoulder every minute, because the card splits it up so that individual sounds come from each speaker, and it does it in a VERY convincing mannar. As for things like games, heh, once again, this card is EXTREMELY good. Sounds come through very clear and crisp, and the 5.1 implementation is damn near perfect Smile.gif

Heh, ya, I've read the 3DSS review, plus a lot of others. Quality wise, the Game Theatre XP and the AE are similar, but the breakout box is a kickass thing to have for multimedia speaker hookup. I decided to go with the AE mainly because I didn't need the beakout box, and didn't want it cluttering up my desk. I have a usb hub, so no need for that. Also, my reviever takes care of all my other needs, so I don't have to go to the back of the computer or anything.

So ya, if you're going for multimedia speakers, then get the Game Theatre. If HT is what you're looking towards, then get the AE, since the reciever would kinda make the breakout box useless, and you get similar performance from both in terms of quality.

This message has been edited by VIV on 07-24-2001 at 01:22 PM

phew... i finally received my hgtxp in the mail today -put in the soundcard, plugged in the wires, began installing the software... and bleaugh. it wouldn't read the installation software. no gt properties tab and didn't install all the drivers. so i tried to listen to music to test it anyways, and it sounded miserable - tinny like listening to bass-heavy music from a cheap car stereo. but went to the website and dl 2.0 drivers, and presto! gt tab, drivers... bass and clear sound. i guess the cd was defective - of all things. hmm.

ok now all i need is the klipsch promedias to make my computer setup complete... (*ahemcoughklipsch*)

cwm30.gif

This message has been edited by CaseMan on 07-25-2001 at 08:28 PM