Link To HK Twin Power Website

Flason

I should have remembered that Andy had posted it. I sis a search, though I was looking for the 930 in particular. I found it when I chaned search criteria to the 430. The link is www.3.sympatico.ca/dan300/hk/ , however, it doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone have an idea who might be able to fix these things. I found one close by and won it off e-bay for $74. It plays OK but the balance control is bad.

Are you SURE the balance control is bad? The balance control is one of the LEAST USED controls (in most cases), but that ALSO means it is more subject to grunge build-up, since it is so often set more or less permanently...because when a control is seldom used, it gets grunge build-up to either side of the connections in it...build-up that will make it APPEAR to be bad, when all it really needs is a serious cleaning!

The control was loose yesterday when I picked the unit up and since then has become difficult to even move. When you move the balance, it will decrease the volume from one channel to catch up with the other(I know, Duh). But what I'm saying is that now that the channels are balanced, they aren't as loud as when the balance was flipped over to just the left channel. I will stop by Rat Shak and pick up some cleaner and compressed air, but what are the chances the balance pot is trashed?

I would imagine that even with the balance control loose, the control itself is not damaged, just dirty as hello. It is easy for one of these controls to loosen up from its mounting over time, since they are held on with lock-nuts to begin with. Unless you actually SEE visible damage to its operating parts (which is simple to see with the control removed), then I bet it is just totally full of grunge..grunge that definitely WILL make it very stiff to turn back and forth...since balance controls normally don't get turned at all very much...which, in turn is exactly why I feel it MOST likely is NOT worn out, but just gunked up with crap that a thorough cleaning will remove.

Controls that are used regularly tend to be "self-cleaning" to some extent, since the electrical contact surfaces "wipe against each other" from operation...especially those older heavily-built analog controls like on those H/K's. It is when they are NOT operated very often that crap builds up to either side of the connections, and then all it takes is to turn them either direction for that crap to smear all over the electrical connections and gum up the entire works, also making the controls stiffer to operate.

For example...ever see a wheel bearing with old grease accumulated on one side but none anywhere else around it...from just sitting? Same kinda deal, but just look at that grease on the bearing as being grunge on the rotating surfaces within that balance control...it just sits there...UNTIL you turn it, then it smears all over everything, making a big mess of crunge everywhere...until it is cleaned out, so that it operates SMOOTHER...AND so that it makes much cleaner electrical contact for its proper electronic functioning.

You, yourself, gave me the clue as to it being most likely dirty...in your last post above...you said it was very stiff...that is a SURE SIGN it is filthy as hello inside of it. One of the main ways one knows when controls are getting clean from cleaner/lubricant application is when one "feels" them begin to operate more "easily" and more "smoothly". The "easily" part means the grunge is being washed out...the "smoothly" part means the lubricant is doing its part of the job on the control. Let me know how this turns out for you.

Remember, if the volume pot is not worn out, then it is highly likely that the balance pot isn't either...normally the volume pot gets MUCH more usage than the balance pot ever will get.

If people just pay attention when cleaning older units' controls, they will likely notice that pots tend to follow a standard routine...those that get operated the MOST generally have the least tendency to turn stiffly...whereas those used the least have the most tendency to turn stiffly...until they have been cleaned. Once cleaned and lubed, they tend to turn with about the same stiffness and smoothness. Older controls which turn "stiffly" are normally just in need of a good cleaning and lube.

I could be wrong in your particular case, but the volume pot should NOT be working fine if the balance pot is ALREADY worn out...from what I have experienced over the years. BTW...it could well take more than a single dosage of cleaner/lube to solve the problem by getting all of that grunge washed out...so don't limit yourself to just one application of cleaner/lube...after the first application let it sit awhile to give the cleaning fluid portion time to dry out, then if it starts to rotate stiffly again, give it another dousing and cleaning...until it begins to operate properly after a good drying time. So far, every old H/K I have gotten required a minimum of TWO control cleanings to get those controls spinning like they were on melted butter...some required up to five dousings! I even had one volume pot that had a wad of hair wrapped up inside of it! That one was a real buggar to get out of there!

Thanks for the link bassetized.

Andy, I know you have a lot going on now, but I sure hope you check this thread. I used the Rat Shak cleaner and worked with the control for around an hour. It moves pretty easily though there are a couple of bumps in the movement. I'll keep working it hopefully till the bumps are gone or my fingerprints rub off. When the balance is all the way to the right, the right channel is quieter than the left. The highs don't sound as detailed and generally sounds like someone threw a blanket over the speaker. I'm almost wondering if that's what it sounds like when it looses it's twin power and is relying on just 1 amp?? The right channel will get plenty loud but it is noticably quieter than the left at any given volume. Maybe I'll have to find another and use this one as parts. The wood case does give it some class.

On the 930, I believe it has a dual volume, control, dual bass, and dual treble, etc. Those are kinda like having two controls each...one for each channel. Basically, those knobs are one knob ahead of the other knob...but they are both removable. Sometimes if the knobs are removed and replaced UNALIGNED to center with each other, it can cause this problem...making one channel seem to be weaker than the other, when the real problem is just a misalignment of the front and rear portions of those dual knobs. Also, be sure to thoroughly clean all of those controls, too.

If cleaning those controls and ensuring proper alignment does not solve the problem, then also be sure to clean the tape monitor switches...they can sometimes cause this. Doesn't the 930 have a reverse switch for the channels? Be sure to clean that too. It may be the problem.

If dirty controls and switches are NOT the problem, and the unit otherwise appears in good shape under the hood, then if the problem is in the amp section, it is likely a dried cap problem, or an output transister problem. Seldom is there a problem with those two power supplies.

I still bet the problem lies in dirty controls and switches and/or misalignment of those particular two-section knobs, though.