Just have to gloat!

Epic Premiere Legend

I just found a brand new in box Klipsch/Samsung HTIB (HTK6 I think is the model #) at Sears clearanced priced for $299! This is the system with the Quintets and the KSW10, not the smaller one with the promedia speakers.

I know the Samsung receiver/DVD player combo unit is probably crap, but I figured that the Quintet/KSW10 set up alone was well worth $300, especially for a small room secondary system.

Any suggestions on a great receiver for them? I'm thinking maybe a Marantz 5400. Any other ideas?

Well after having a chance to hook this thing up and put it through it's paces, my suspicions are confirmed. That is, the Samsung receiver/DVD player is junk. The crossover frequency if you set speakers to small is 200 HZ. The

KSW10 sub doesn't even come close to going that high. To prevent a huge gap there, instead of using the sub pre-out cable hook up, I hooked up the sub and main L/R speakers with speaker wire instead, set them to large, and sub off.

Also, not too impressed with the KSW10 sub either. My cousin has a comparable Polk system, and as much as I hate to admit it, I do call 'em like I see 'em, and the Polk sub is much better than the KSW10. I still believe though that with a better receiver, the Quintet sattelites would be as good or better than the Polk sattelites. The Polk system he has came with a seperate pre/pro and power amp which is built into the sub for all speakers. While it has the Polk logo on it, he says the electronics were really made by Marantz, which thumps Samsung by a wide margin.

just to let you know that sub needs to be broken in. Also get a good signal to the sub. If you are running cheep wire to the sub then you will not get the full potential out of it. Good luck on getting more out of it. My sub took hours on end to break in. Its just now starting to sound better and its been almost a year. Then again I dont really get a chance to turn it up loud enough to break it in. (apartment)

I use a Marantz w/ my Klipsch HT and love it. The 5400 would be great. It will probably satisfy you longer than the Quintets will.

I used Quintets for a couple of years as my primary HT. They rock for movies, but aren't as good for music. I used the KSW-10 w/ mine and while it won't touch my SVS, it isn't a bad little sub. Make sure you've got it placed in a good spot and use the LFE when you get a better receiver.

BTW, you're right, for $299 that's hard to beat!

John

I have never heard the KSW-10, but I have the KSW-12 and just like the previous post states I gave it time to break in and I have good cables. For what I paid for it I am happy with it. With that said the 10er can't be all too bad. Give it time and let us know. Happy listening.