Harmon Kardon Soundsticks - Opinions requested

Cleve

A friend of mine sent me this e-mail...

>Jim,

>What do you think of Harman/Kardon speakers? I am thinking of setting up a >wireless music network based on the apple itunes/airtunes tech. I need powered >speakers and thought the hk soundsticks II looked cool. Do you know anything >about them?

I know nothing about them, other than a quick web search revealed they kind of resemble some of the Apple desktop products. The subwoofer weighs a scant 5 lbs , but supposedly digs down to 44hz?! 6.gif

Any one heard them? What should I tell him? The more feedback I can provide, the better. Thanks!

Its basically a personal computer speaker system. Probably comparable to the Klipsch ProMedia systems except that the Klipsch will probably play louder and cleaner. For a MSRP of $199 for the whole system, I wouldn't expect too much. Perhaps you can get more info from the ProMedia afficianados section of the Forum

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=MME∏=SOUNDSTICKSII&sType=C

I have heard those speakers and they certainly don't dig down to 44Hz 2.gif The bass is boomy and the low mids aren't there. The mids and highs have a certain harsh sound to them; probably due to the comb filtering caused by the four 1" transducers. And lastly, they don't get very loud at all.

Other than that, they certainly do look very cool.

For the same price and similar futuristic look, you might want to send him over to the klipsch online store:

ProMedia GMX A-2.1

The GMX is still boomy in the bass and a bit harsh in the high end (most likely due to the computer I was listening on though), but it's cheaper and louder...notice it digs down to -5dB at 33Hz as oppsed to the -10dB at 44Hz (i'm assuming -10 for the HK...it could be as low as -20...they don't show the frequency response bandwidth...the gmx is +-5dB).