Which component upgrade for biggest bang for buck improvement

Ok, well then, I DO have a fairly decent, high rated but not great but adequate sub in my Sony SAWM40 which I'm using with my SB-3s. I've checked my freq. response with and without the sub...Unfortunately, my room causes a weird drop in DB around 75 hz...I dont think its the speakers, because I experience this approx 8 db falloff around 75 hz, but it plateaus at that level down to 50 hz, after which, it quickly falls off.....But, with the Sub going, crossed over around 80 hz, I dont experience this falloff...Now, the system is fairly flat, cept for a lousy room causing ups and downs between frequency...But overall, its flat down to 30 hz.

Does this mean that an upgrade to either SF-2 or RF-3 would no longer be a big bang-for-the-buck improvement? Or will either or both of those give me not just bass, but better midrange also?

I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether or not to upgrade, given that I do have a sub which some of you were questioning...And if I DO upgrade, should it be to an SF-2 or an RF-3? And, if I go to the RF-3, will my receiver's level controls be able to overcome the 4 db increase in sensitivity of the RF-3s? It should because the range goes I think from -10 to +10 db.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I say, I'm having a hard time deciding which alternative to take..

1K I've got 2 avenues here my first pick up some Discoed KLF 30's my second would be off to land of low end SVS wise I'd risk the eviction notice!

the 30's will fly more then likely I check with my local Sound Advice weekly for that magic price and it's getting closer to that magic number

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

This message has been edited by JTS8 on 07-30-2001 at 09:53 AM

Doug,

how would you compare the RF-3s to the KLF-10s? I've seen very good prices on the KLF-10s. They dont have a metallic tweeter like the RF-3s, and the horn looks smaller....Are the dual 10s able to provide the midrange required of this 2-way speaker? The crossover is 2300, while its only 1975 with the RF-3s...I'm concerned that the dual 10s would have to go a little higher than even the dual 8s...Or, is it a non issue, and do the KLF-10s sound as good as the RF-3s....Thanks.

Paul - Afraid I haven't heard the two speakers together. Can't give any informed advice! Someone else?

The only thought I can offer is that if you are looking for strong mid-range, try out a 3-way configuration like the KLF-20/30. I read your other post that you are concerned about overkill with the 30's. I'm getting fond of the expression "nothing succeeds like excess," and you've probably seen me use it elsewhere. All kidding aside, if you get the 20 or 30 now, you probably won't be looking to upgrade again anytime soon. In the long run, you might be happier to just get them now, especially at clearance prices!

Doug