Carpet on walls?

Coytee

This winter we're probably going to finish our (currently unfinished and stud walls only) basement.

The main room, roughly 16x24 has 3 block exterior walls, 1 stud interior wall.

I was at audio store and they had carpet all over their wall. I mentioned this to the wife and she said she might have fabric on the wall.

(she has NO concern for HT considerations)

I told her maybe we could carpet wall, and then she could put fabric OVER the carpet...

Long story short, is that an acceptable tool in the process of making a room worthy?

If it IS, is it then a non-event, as I suspect, to add the fabric OVER the carpet? That way, I'd get the sound deadening & she'd get the visuals.

Any thoughts appreciated

Oh.. any tips on floor material? she's thinking tile, as in ceramic. personally, that's too cold/hard for me, BUT we all know who the boss is.

9.gif

Glad I asked then..(if in fact it won't work/help)

Then I might just toss out that the room is (forgot to look last night) 16 x 24 (or thereabout), concrete floor, 1 stud wall, 3 block walls. one block wall had french doors on it, but I doubt that's important. Ceiling is currently open too.

I have basically, a clean slate.

My anticipation is to locate my 2 LaScallas "inside" the stud wall (which is the closet under the stairs) so they will be out of the way visually. I'll mount 2 of my Academy's in the upper corners for effects, and my 3rd Academy (yes, I have three 9.gif ) as my center channel. I recall that the front effects are "supposed" to be above and behind my mains, but that just ain't gonna happen.

My rear's are uncertain. Currently, I'm contemplating building a 2'X 3' bookshelf and make it maybe 6' high. I might put my rears on TOP of the bookshelf. (My rears will be EV "Interface D's" and will be bi-amped...all 120 pounds each, of them)

So, that's the gist of room dimensions and speaker placement. If anyone has any pointers, URL's, other..as to mistakes that might be easily preventable, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Sry about the double post... I tried to delete other one, but didn't see how (I didn't try REAL hard I must admit, but I DID try)

I would highly recommend NOT using any kind of tile...it is very reflective and at louder volumes is good at making everything very harsh. Is hardwood floor an option?

Seems you've given up on the carpet idea so I wont' comment on why it's no good 2.gif

However, you might want to consider purchasing some acoustical panels instead...and she could mount her fabric stuff on top or do her thing or whatever. It shouldn't have that large of an impact on the sonic characteristics of the panel (btw, what kind of fabric stuff is she thinking of putting on the walls)?

Mounting your mains inside the wall is actually a good idea...just make sure that you reduce any amount of cabinet vibration that might cause your wall or the space that the speaker is mounted in to vibrate. here's a link that might be helpful:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=718

(btw, you will need to register with the forum in order to be able to see the pictures...yes, there are pictures in the first post of that thread).

If you browse that forum and the website (www.johnlsayers.com), you'll find crap loads of pictures and more info than you ever wanted to know 2.gif

Also, what is the height of your room?