Loudspeaker Design Cookbook

akirk

Well, I finally broke down and bought a copy of the much-praised Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Boy, was I surprised! I was expecting a good practical speaker design tutorial for DIY'ers such as myself, but this thing reads like a graduate-level textbook in loudspeaker engineering. Talk about some dry reading - far too many graphs and formulas for my simple mind. Am I the only one who has felt this way? BTW, I am an engineer (mechanical) but this one is over my head.

Sorry for your misfortune. I have no solution for you other than to ask, did you look at the book on Amazon? If so, did you read the feeback? That's what I tend to do to try and get a feel for something.

If you do find a book that is a nice balanced read for new DIYers, let me know. I've been interested in creating some speakers for the fun of it. I don't need them but it would be fun non the less.

Good luck!

From Amazon we have...

" Definitely not a How To manual, December 23, 2001

Reviewer: A reader

Imagine bringing home a book on Hawaiian Cooking only to discover no recipes, no ingredients but instead a detailed discussion of the molecular level of digestive enzymes. Such is the kind of surprise that may await you with "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook."

The promotion on the cover offers "everything you need to know to build that dream loudspeaker system for your home, your car, or your home theatre." Obviously, whoever wrote that advertising copy never cracked the cover of this book. The book essentially is not a How To sort of book. For example, if the reader wanted to learn the functions of the components of crossover networks he would be out of luck. The discussions in this book are way beyond any such mundane considerations. The book is so saturated with technical language that I suspect 95 percent of readers will be able to glean little or no practical information from it. Mr. Dickason obviously knows what he is talking about but he doesn't have the gift of explaining so essential to technical writers.

Still, the book has a catchy title and will no doubt continue to sell by the thousands. A more apt title might be "Advanced Theory on the Physics of Loudspeakers" but, of course, that probably wouldn't sell as many copies."

A book that I quite like is an older Radio Shack papeback called something like "Advanced Loudspeaker Design" (hey, consider the source... it's not that advanced!) by Ray Alden. This has all the equations you need to do reasonable sealed and vented box design, AND explains the basic theory (e.g., Helmholz resonator... like blowing across the top of a moonshine jug) in a pretty straightforward manner.

I got my copy on closeout at Radio Shack a few years ago for about 50 cents. Shouldn't be too hard to find at eBAY or Amazon.com. I think it MAY still be in print from another publisher.

BTW, not to scare you, but the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook isn't really all that technical... the problem I have with it is that it is indeed just a cookbook... it's got lots of tables, but suppose you're working with something that falls in between (or outside of) the entries in those tables?

Hi, the average DIY'er would be challenged by a proven kit, IMO.

Building a proper enclosure can be a lot harder than it looks. Designing one based on the T/S parameters of a driver can look good on paper or a screen, but the real truth comes out in how it sounds. Same for the X-over.

I said the same thing when I 1st looked at the LSCB. It's more of a reference than a "how to" to me.

If you want "how to", pick a kit that suits, and follow the directions.

"This ain't rocket science.... it's much more complex" - really applies to speakers 2.gif

My all-time fav is "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" by Don Davis and Alexis Badmaeiff (1973). It is full of plans of the "classic" speakers (Bozak, Klispch Shorthorn, Altec A-7, etc.). It dabbles a little in all aspects of speaker building in the 60's.

It really needs another reprint. Sometimes I see it on Epay for an exorbitant fee ($35.00). I bought mine in 1978 for $4.98 new. This has been one that I've packed around all these years.

DM2.gif