refinishing '60 Mahogany Lacquer Khorns

Tom Mobley

no pic in the first post, forum always eats it.

Some may recall last November when I did a Buy It Now on ebay for a set of Khorns. Borrowed a truck from a frind and made a flying trip to Colorado Springs from Phoenix. Twelve hours each way, 1700 miles total. There was a thread with pics but I can't find it now.

I'll post some before and after pics. This is really a work in progress, may take some time to complete. I was going to re-lacquer them, but after seeing Gregs work with wipe-on poly and considering the hazards of spraying lacquer and its' thinner in a suburban garage I decided to go with the poly deal. There's a nice article in a recent Fine Woodworking magazine too, not to mention all the info available on the net.

The speaks are dead nuts original, no update, repairs or mods that I can detect. They deserve a nice job and will get one.

here's a shot of both right after uinloading them from the truck. You can see the Jensen woofers, they're too early to have K-33. They also have the pre-K400 mid-horn, the K-5. It's wood and fibreglass. They have the correct EV T-35 tweeter and the original K-500-5000 crossover. The tweeter mounts in the mouth of the mid-horn, there is no conventional motorboard in this design.

post-9215-1381925785493_thumb.jpg

more later. since the digicam went to join its' friends in the great beyond I have to shoot rolls of 35mm and have CD's made. I got a scanner up and running but it's just too slow. The first CD of pics back from the lab had all the pics upside down and backwards. Had to run them all thru a photoedit program and also reduce the file size. They were huge, up to 450KB. I've got the first top about half done.

Stunning work, Tom. The edges of the top section from the front shouldn't be darker than the spacer and front panel, and aren't the home plate tops also darker? You'll really have transformed those babies when you're done!

Did you end up leaving the bass horn throat inserts in?

Larry

Larry,

I've currently got those back in, but it's still subject to testing. When I pull the woofer out during the refinish of the bass bin I'll do something one way or the other.

On the dark brown edges, they are painted that way from the factory. The bare cut edges of the lumber core was filled and painted to give a nice appearance. The front edge of the three plates of the upper section are painted the same way, although there's Mahogany veneer under the paint. The top of the plate above the riser is painted brown. The top surface of the lower plate is finished. The kickboard at the bottom of the front is similar, the visible top edge is painted the dark brown, the front is Mahogany. It appears to be a piece of the lumber core plywood, not a piece of solid wood. I had to have the brown paint special mixed, I couldn't find anything to match. It's too dark brown. The darkest dark brown Home Depot could mix in their Behr line wasn't dark enough.

On the red stain deal: After seeing the real color of Mahogany as being this gorgeous gold and brown iridescent/shimmering thing I've lost interest in the red stained approach. The sources I've developed say that over time the red leaches out of the wood and it colors itself. Even after extensive stripping and sanding I still get a red color when wiping the surface with a rag soaked in paint thinner. There seems to be much discussion along the "feature or bug" line among woodworkers.

Thanks for your comments.