SVS Subwoofers

Spanky

Up until a couple of days ago I had never heard of these guys, But they seem to have a very loyal customer following, I'm looking at building a system using RB-25 as front mains and rear surrounds, RC-25 for front and rear centre channels (6.1)

So what would you suggest for Sub? I'm looking at the 20-39PCi

I'm on a budget but if I have spend a little more for a bigger model I will but this seems to suit the best by my reckoning, So I need a subwoofer that will work well with my RB-25 book shelf speakers, Your thoughts or suggestions?

I am not a massive bass freak, But some good bass authority would be great, I'm using 2 x 8" kenwoods at the moment (Yuck!) with very poor lowend extension, So I suspect this will be a staggering output and quality difference by comparison.

Thanks for your advice.

----------------

On 9/14/2004 7:13:53 AM Spanky wrote:

Up until a couple of days ago I had never heard of these guys, But they seem to have a very loyal customer following, I'm looking at building a system using RB-25 as front mains and rear surrounds, RC-25 for front and rear centre channels (6.1)

So what would you suggest for Sub? I'm looking at the 20-39PCi

I'm on a budget but if I have spend a little more for a bigger model I will but this seems to suit the best by my reckoning, So I need a subwoofer that will work well with my RB-25 book shelf speakers, Your thoughts or suggestions?

I am not a massive bass freak, But some good bass authority would be great, I'm using 2 x 8" kenwoods at the moment (Yuck!) with very poor lowend extension, So I suspect this will be a staggering output and quality difference by comparison.

Thanks for your advice.

----------------

Boy oh boy are you in for a treat. I wouldn't expect you're getting much of any bass extension right now. What are your room dimensions and characteristics (open doors and hallways, etc.)? This will provide much better grounds for an loose estimation.16.gif

My system is very similar to what you're describing. I use RB/C/S-25s and have an SVS PCi 25-31 that I had tuned to 22Hz at the factory. That thing is awesome. I am very well pleased with it. Email SVS and get their suggestions. They will shoot you straight and not try to oversell you.

I also have one comment about your speakers. There is another alternative for your 6.1. Why not get 6 RB-25s? This will give you identical speakers all around and is actually slightly cheaper. Just a thought.

John

I don't think I'm a bass freak anyway3.gif I have 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in my car, But oddly enough I don't enjoy massive bass in my home, Just nice and clean with good authority and definition,

The theater will be set up in a dedicated theatre room with no windows or doors apart from the main door which will be closed during movie watching with a very heavy solid timber door, The room will be air conditioned. 2 walls will be concrete and the rest will be timber and with carpet on the floor, the room will be roughly 4 x 7 metres, I'm looking at a Projector from Screenplay (4805) so I'm trying to do this right.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 1:22:31 AM formica wrote:

Actually i'd recommend going with the 25-31PCi simply because your mains roll off early (about 50-55hz?)... and the difference is relatively small given you are not a "bass freak".

It will seem more punchy tuned higher...

----------------

Tom told me that it only affected the overall available output level. Since he was confident that I would be able to achieve 110+dBs w/ the sub tuned to 22Hz, I went w/ that. I figured I was sacrificing something I would never use and gaining slightly more extension.

John

Yeah man, I was like you in the beginning too. SVS? The hell is that? Reason is cause it's an internet direct brand only, which in effect eliminates the middle-man mark-up. Which means a $1000 sub is more like a $2000 sub if it were sold in an actual store. So that's also why you never see this brand in a store...although go into any high end store and I promise you the salespeople will know of SVS. Anyway, point being, these subs are dope. You want something that hits low and hard, but doesn't lose its musicality? You found it, bro.