is it suppose to be this difficult.......

BruinsFan

I'm trying to mate my new Klipsch RF5, RC7, RSW15 with a decent receiver and DVD player - that matches well with them, as well as the room, my ears, my budget, etc.

I can see the argument for the seperates - alot of folks have dedicated listening rooms or listen to a lot of DVD Audio or SACD. Last night I auditioned a Rotel and an Arcam with Denon's 2900 through RF5s. It sounded amazing to me. Problem is that isn't how I listen to music. When I use my DVD it's for movies - not much else. When I listen to music it's usually XM Radio or MP3 - neither of which I would consider high quality sources.

With that in mind - is just a waste of money to go into a higher end receiver or seperates? And I really don't see what a $1000+ DVD player is going to do for me. I can see how it would benefit others but for my uses.....

I know it's what "sounds good to me" but there's just no way to audition all the decent equipment. Then you take it home - it sounds different anyways plus I just don't know how it will do with my sources.

So I'm open to any opinions - but would like to here from folks that listen to similar sources as I do and use their DVD for just movies.

Thanks as always.

Your setup will only be as good as your weakest link (component) so keep that in mind. If you do mainly movies get the Denon 2200 instead of the 2900, if you are going with a receiver I would buy a good one, not a bargain basement job. If you do get cheap on the receiver you will be buying another one sooner than you think. There are a ton of choices out their for receiver's, look at B&K, HK, Denon, to name a few. I had the same trouble in finding a A/V Pre/Pro that did what I wanted and sounded like I wanted in the price that I wanted. It was NOT an easy task!

Consider the just-released Denon 1910, it's really for movies. No SACD or DVD-A playback. But it is nice since it upconverts dvds to 1080i/720p (making dvds near-HD quality) over the DVI connection. Also has component,

but you can't upconvert over that.

And at $269 MSRP, you are getting a good name at a great price.

If you don't have DVI on your tv, then consider jumping quickly for a Zenith 318 (I think that's the right model number). The oldest firmwares allow the upconvert over component which violates certain regulations. Act now before the new firmware coming out blocks this feature and only allows upconvert through DVI.

Both above are great suggestions. I was going to say the Denon 2200 as well. You never know, you may be into DVD-A or SACD one day. If you hear it you may never go back. Only problem is availability of material. Also look at Yamaha. Some like them and some do not. Let you ears be the judge. Also keep in mind that when you audition something in a store it very well may sound very different in your listening/viewing area. See if they have a return or audition policy.

Good Luck