When source and speakers are of significant quality...

Audio Flynn

all amps sound different.

In the past 2 years I have heard a few dozen combined of both tube and SS separates and integrated.

I like the speakers from Reference and Hereseys to my limited K Horn listening and have some strong jittery dislikes for mediocre digital playback but really find amps to have such different voicing among all other types of components.

Scott LK-48 has been put aside for the3 time being to bein to understand the tube separates.

Current line up

AMPEX tube pre

Scott 208 tube power amp (NOS Valves)

With the Scott 208 the bass weight, attack and decay are more realistic. Still way below VRD monoblock level of performance.

SOundstage is very nice but the vocals seem to be lower in the room.

On good CDs the LK-48 would have the voices about 2-3 feet above the height of the speaker.

The Ampex /Scott 208 combination voices are at about speaker height.

Not bad just different.

I need to listen to more LPs.

Still avoiding the lure of tube rolling for another couple of months.

----------------

On 9/15/2004 7:04:04 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Still avoiding the lure of tube rolling for another couple of months.

----------------

Probably a good idea. Leave it longer if you can. Frankly my tube rolling over the last few weeks hasn't revealed much, if any improvement, to justify the cost of new tubes.

Can't argue 'bout that.

In my experience, the preamp is a bigger difference maker.

I've got one that is clearly voiced differently (maybe "colored" could be used) - "dark" (ARC) and one that is much "lighter" (Mc).

The amps (MC300 or 60W/mono 6550 tube heads) sound pretty close to me, that is, nothing really stands out, except the dynamic range differences... my experience follows yours, but I think that its dynamics that alter the soundstage presentation, as all of the nuance and transient information is directly related to dynamics.

DM2.gif