What's the Best DVD player??

BruinsFan

If I'm gonna throw these esoteric terms around, I gotta make sure I know what I'm talking about beforehand, lest I look like a salesman or something! 3.gif

----------------

Griff Youre crackin me up. I would of never thought you were tryin to sell anything. 2.gif I must admit that you do deal with top of the line outfits. Now if I only had the money to buy some of the toys we both agree are the best wed be talkin more often.1.gif

Audio Flynn Im with you on the RP-91. I own two of them.Some people might think it has become a dinosaur in the world of DVD players but it is still a great performer especially when compared to the newer throw away players they are manufacturing today.

The Basics

The highlight of this player is definitely the DVI output. The only drawback in this mode is the players inability to pass a below-black Pluge pattern. The test patterns on Avia are set up to help calibrate players with this problem.

The HD-931 suffers from rather sluggish navigation which can make things frustrating at times. It also wont skip through longer menus like most players do. The players white level is also a bit hot, measuring in at 103 IRE as opposed to the standard 100 IRE.

On the plus side, the HD-931 has no Y/C delay, and the video frequency response is excellent. This player also has a very quick layer change reminiscent of the Krell and Denon players. I measured about a half second in our layer change test. All in all, this player comes in at an excellent price point and represents a solid value given its performance and DVI output.

=======================================

All I know is I tested the denon, sony, and yamaha, DVD players when I bought this last fall. By far, the Samsung 931 was better. Like I said, my only regret in the purchase is it is a little slow loading up. I understand this is my personal belief too. The Samsung people at CEDIA loved this unit with my pick of a Samsung HDTV. Sometimes when you combine like components like the Samsung dvd unit and the Samsung HDTV you know it has been tested and is just going to work great together because it was tweeked at Samsung to work with Samsung products.

I think I paid 225 dollars at best buys. IMO a home run.

I am sure if I spend (as it should be) 5k or up for a DVD player I should notice something too. It is a little like speaker cable though Griff... At what point do you really see or hear it??? Or talk yourself into yeah I hear/ see it cause I am spending big bucks. For now at least... I am really happy.

Indy - I hear ya about the big dollar thing.

My fundamental point about the Bel Canto is that it is the finest player on the market for audio reproduction. That is what you're ultimately paying for with that unit. If you're willing to toss in the extra $2500, you can get the whiz-bang Faroudja implementation as well, and get an astounding picture.

My personal opinion is that $2500 buys a hell of a nice video scaler (Focus Centerstage Pro comes to mind) that would bring all your video sources to 1080i or above (the Centerstage can upsample all the way to 1366x1024 for displays that support it) - so that extra dosh doesn't seem worth it to me.

Back to the discussion, sure, the Sammy for $300 isn't a bad deal - and if you're enjoying the picture you're getting, that's the most important thing.

Maybe next year I'll sneak one of those Centerstages or an iScan HD over to your house after the tour of the plant and we can compare/contrast a good outboard scaler vs. internal upsampling.

----------------

On 9/19/2004 3:23:29 AM BBB wrote:

Griff
You’re crackin’ me up. I would of never thought you were tryin’ to sell anything.
2.gif
I must admit that you do deal with top of the line outfits. Now if I only had the money to buy some of the toys we both agree are the best we’d be talkin’ more often.
1.gif

----------------

When I decided to get into this business, BBB, I committed to setting myself apart from the Best Buys and Circuit Cities of the world. They have their market, and they can keep it, frankly. I feel like I'm in a pretty good position right now with most of my product offerings, where I can offer packages that start at just above the best those outfits can offer, and move all the way up to systems that could easily compete with the finest movie theaters in the country.

I still have more work to do on my lineup (still trying to get something going with Furman to start distroing their new series-mode conditioners instead of the Panamax stuff I'm working with now, and still working on some really nice handheld touch-panels for integrated whole-house A/V networks) but it's getting there. Of course, there's the showroom issue, but all I can do is just keep plugging there and maybe I can catch a break on some investment backing in the interim.

Griff if your looking for the best power conditioner type products, check out American Power Conversions new entries into HT.

They have been a major force in the computer world for years, and this is a new venture. It is a fine company, and they looked pretty cool to me at the show.

http://apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=310&tab=features#anchor1

I got my onkyo dvd player for a buck and some change( 120 I think). It's progressive scan and it's built like a tank. It's got a metal front instead of a cheap plastic front. I know this don't mean it's better, but it will surely last longer. I used to own a toshiba and it was pretty good, but i put in the movie signs, and when Mel Gibson is just waking from a sleep on the couch he walks across the room over the older fashion oval type rug. On the toshiba the circular braids that form the oval rug flickered and did weird stuff. I watched it on my onkyo and it virtually eliminated every quirk in that scene. This was in regular S viewing at that. Not progressive or even component for that matter. I can't image how great it would look to step up my tv.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 3:27:44 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Griff said..

Maybe next year I'll sneak one of those Centerstages or an iScan HD over to your house after the tour of the plant and we can compare/contrast a good outboard scaler vs. internal upsampling.

Your on!

----------------

Hey yeah. Do dat. I'd like to hear your opinions on that comparison. Whoa, wait a minute! What's wrong with doing it at my house? O.K.? Whatta ya say?

Haunted house1.gif

Never mind. Ive been having electrical problems lately. 2.gif

post-7563-1381925791284_thumb.gif