the lifespan of a sub?....

Sanman023

ive never owned any sub for more than 3 years....now that ive invested in a few...i was just wondering if subs can last as long as the typical loudspeakers (ie: klipschorns, belles, vintage jbl's, etc.)...or do we threat them as electronics where we upgrade every few years....ive read books on high end audio/home theater...but they never mention how one can keep a sub for that long...

just curious...

Are you talking about the actual life span of the sub itself or the lifespan in one's system? I got mixed readings...

Referring to its actual life... subs won't last as long as other speakers because they have an amp inside of them. They are more likely to die and will probably not last as long as normal unpowered speakers.

As far as life in one's system... that is a tough call. It depends on the person and their needs. I have just started loving sealed box subs, and most affordable sealed subs are too highly priced for me. 3.gif So, I will have to build my own... though I am looking at PR. Anyway... if someone has a sealed sub and wants more low bass... then they'll probably trade off for a ported one... or if they want more musicality they go sealed... whatever. It's probably a mood change. Poor subs are subject to our whims. 1.gif

Are we talking the operational lifespan of a sub?

Technically, powered subs typically have a very short life compared to passive subs which can last indefinately (or at least as long as other speakers).

Usually, it is the under-designed and poorly manufactured amplifier that goes south in a powered sub.

If we are talking the part-of-a-system lifespan of a sub, then that is up in the air. Subwoofers are not swapped as often as other components in a system, IMO.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2004 1:09:14 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

----------------

On 9/15/2004 11:37:52 AM D-MAN wrote:

Usually, it is the under-designed and poorly manufactured amplifier that goes south in a powered sub.

----------------

So... Would you apply that idea to higher end subs from Sunfire, SVS, or the RSW series? Or do you just mean subs like a 100 watt Sony?

----------------

Well, basically, yes in general. I am uninformed of the failure rates on the mentioned "upper $$ range" powered subs where one could reasonably expect a higher quality amplifier section and subsequently longer warranty, but in general, the subwoofer amplifier package itself is where a manufacturer is going to cut costs. That's pretty much of an inarguable fact, I recon. But you get what you pay for...

DM2.gif

I'm not sure if price always dictates durability once you get past the <400$ entry level units. From postings on this forum;

- high $$ servo subs seem to have a relatively high rate of failure amongst members here. The accelerometers and attached circuitry seem to be the sorce of the problems. I'm not sure if this is representative of the general population though

- foam surrounds will eventually dry out, which is worsened with exposure to UV. Rubber and folded cloth surrounds don't suffer from this as much as foam. This is true to all passive or active speakers...

- given the cone movements required to reproduce bass frequencies, it's easy to overdrive a subwoofer... and many units die (amplifier over heats or driver overheats) from being over driven. D-class amplifiers should have the reliability edge here...

So far I've been lucky... and have had only one subwoofer surround dry up on me...

Rob

This is a topic that I would love to see Tom V (the V in SVS) comment on. Tom scans these boards occassionally and maybe he will pick up on it. Perhaps I can stimulate his interest with an email.

I believe that a lot of subs fail from being frequently driven to bottoming . Sizing a sub for room size and listening habits is a science that even an above average audio salesman, or for that matter many of us so called enthusiasts/experts don't comprehend. That is where having an expert like Tom V at SVS becomes very valuable.

I chose my first sub a Velodyne CHT 120 myself. It was woefully inadequite. Since I am slow to learn, I chose my second sub, an SVS 2039pci myself. It was adequite, but only adequite. I had no headroom and would ocassionally bottom when watching movies with extensive LFE. This was happening more and more frequently as producers incorporated more and more LFE into their films. So,I decided to move to a bigger SVS sub, but this time I tried to be a bit smarter and faxed my room dimensions, listening preferences and a list of my associated equipment to SVS. What the heck, it is a free service, so why not take advantage of it? Right. Tom V replied the same day saying that he thought I would be more satisfied with the another SVS offerring. No pressure was put on me to buy anything, so, I though about it for awhile and placed my order. Tom's recommendation WAS the right sub for ME. I have never driven it to bottoming. I suspect it will last a long long time.

Jerry Rappaport

The lifespan of a suboofer depends on its design and road taken to get performance and care fater purchase and levels you will push it to and how often.Use and product determine lifespan

The amp is not too much of a problem if the amplifier was designed with vibration in mind(amp sharing enclosure space with woofer)and can disipate ithe heat generated by the power supply and output transistors properly.

Take the new BASH amp for example very little heat generated,Bob Carver is the pioneer of very efficient amps all his Sunfire amps generatevery little heat and can produce power.Also the average BASH amp circuit board is not up to par to a Sunfire circuit board that is designed to share its space with an extreme excursion woofer in a Sunfire sub next to a huge magnet.Velodyne also makes similar amps,these are not as proven as Sunfire.

I have three Sunfire subs and none ever failed,my oldest is the Mark II I purchased just after the Mark II was itroduced and it kicks A1...save for the gain pot that isused.

BASH amps when well designed can last years with no problems and other lesser BASH amps suffer sudden death even with little or no abuse.Its all in the design,part choice and quality of assembly.

So far I have NEVER had even ONE sub dying,save for the Promedia 2.1 overehating amp in the bass module.

The best quality subwoofers will use a separate chamber for the amp(Aerial SW12 is the perfect example),this beast of an amp has its own separate enclosure in the sub cabinet.This is ideal,magnetic field from woofer's motor structure is further away and most vibrations and air pressure changes gone.Plus the quality of the Aerial SW12 amp circuit board is better than most high end home amps!

The amp is one part of the deal,the other being the woofer itself.

A high quality subwoofer woofer will NEVER use thin foam sourround like so many dumpster subs still do.As thin foam is easy to tear,ages fast(drying,UV rays from the sun degrade the sourround).Any sealed or any sub using a PR should have at least a rubber sourround(Aerial,Revel,Klipsch RSW) or a thick rubberised compressed foam sourround(like the Sunfire,Adire Tumult and most super duty woofers).These sourrounds do not tear unless woofer being driven to extremes and still,I never say one of these quality and durable sourrounds damaged easy.

The spider is also a very important part,most of today's best extreme throw woofers use double spiders for a very stiff recall of the piston.With time all woofers lose the recall capabilities but the best designed quality woofers will remain functional for at least 10 years under day to day use.And maybe a few times longer,as long as one is not deaf 2.gif

With a high quality sub one can hope to last 20-25 years,in case of high pressure subs like the Velodyne,Sunfire and company with proper sourround care9coating with Mink oil each year,every year)again durability should be great.Like I said I used and abused my Sunfire Mark II for a good few years and its going strong as ever.The woofer is in tip top shape,and trust me it did over 2 inches of front to back travels a good few times,almosta scary sight.

Also to keep subs running in top shape,room temps should be around 18-20 celcius,humidity around 40%,no bozos sticking fingers in dustcaps,sourrounds.No exposure to direct sunlight and in case its needed and prescribed by the maker of the sub substance to preserve the sourround applied when needed.