NPR's 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century

Grateful11

What a totally bizarre list. Some stuff I'd like to check out on it though, but to my mind a very sloppy effort. In pop alone only no Beatles, no Dylan nothing from Woodstock. In blues no Muddy Waters. If I knew classical music better I'd probably be livid. Good coverage on Show tunes. Jazz-gotta question their choices. Movies, nothing from the Marx Brothers!

Sounds like a future Klipsch Forum project: Top 10 by music type. Coming soon to a BB near you.

Sloppy doesn't begin to describe this list. It is almost as they were trying to anger people on purpose. No Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, oh the list of omissions would take all night.

A glaring example IMHO, they have what follows as a classical piece, but no Planets by Gustav Holst.

Here is the quote:

"4:33"

May 8 -- Writer Will Hermes presents the story behind this elusive musical composition written by avant-gardist John Cage. The piece, premiered in 1952, directs someone to close the lid of a piano, set a stopwatch, and sit in silence for four minutes and thirty-three seconds. Musicians and critics alike initially thought the piece a joke. But its premiere pianist, who never played a note, calls it his most intense listening experience. "4:33" speaks to the nature of sound and the musical nature of silence.

In the interest of keeping things between the ditches:

-- Blowin' in the Wind by Dylan is right there.

-- No Beatles because it is the "American" music list (maybe same reason for Holst?)

-- If you are not famliar with Cage, study up -- his impact on modern electronica is nothing short of gigantic (even if rarely credited).

SURE THE LIST AIN"T MY FAVORITES EITHER -- BUT, man, this was one of the finest radio series I ever listened to. And the programs are still downloadable.

To you folks who are always looking for some new music, download some of the episodes. A good one to start with IMO -- The Doors. Give a listen and you'

ll learn why Manzarek and company are still influencing musicians today.