Horns vs. Cones - series clarification!

rminten

Got it. To make the Reference's three-way, you add a separate Sub-Woofer, but then there's the cross-over issue, right? It would be great to be able to change the cross-over so the 10" woofer cones on the RF-7's wouldn't handle the sub frequencies and let the sub-woofer (KSW12\RSW12) really kick the deep bass out.

Any way to do this with these baby's??

Randy

RM,

Klipschorn is a model in their 'furniture' speaker line, as I call it, and no longer made...Monster cable is a brand of interconnect and speaker cable sold in the aftermarket. I think that should answer the last of your questions...

RMinten,

The Reference Series are 2-way systems with the midrange frequencies split between the woofer and the tweeter. I'd say the woofer reproduces the most of the midrange. The Legend series has to have the midrange horn because their tweeter cannot reproduce the midrange. Neither the Legend nor the Reference series speakers have "subwoofers", just "woofers".

A powered subwoofer usually has a built-in crossover that could be used to limit the deep bass sent to the speaker. I would not recommend modifying the speaker's crossover network to reduce the deep bass.

John

just to add, hopefully not the obvious to rm,

hooking up the seperate powered sub line level to most of the a/v receivers' sub out & setting fronts as small also cuts the lows from the front speaks & sends it to the sub.

it's just that this way it's usually a FIXED crossover on the receiver usually set at 80-100hz.

doing as dougd mentioned gives u the VARIABLE CONTROL of the crossover.

either way has pluses & minuses. not saying which is better Biggrin.gif

Everyone..thanks for the suggestions! You guys are great. I just got my RF-7's..still in the SUV! Nice boxes....LOL!

I'll post later tonight how they are! I'm also upgrading to the RC7 and RS7 when they get in. Haven't made a decision on the RSW's...

Randy

Just a note concerning PaulEs' post; More correctly, the klipschorn is not currently in production. Neither is the belle klipsch or the la scala. But, this situaton is only temporary, we are assured by those who should know. They will, soon I hope, be back -- with new mid and/or tweeter drivers, updated x/o, and unfortunately, probably an updated price tag.

------------------

JDMcCall