Is it true?

pHEnomIC69

I've heard some stuff about some HT guys buying 2000$ power cables. Is it true that people do this or is there even a product like this out? I know that there is expensive wire out there, maybe 30$ but why even that much for a power cable? I know that the material is important but i usually make my own wires and standard radioshack wire works great for me. I would imagine that any 100% copper insulated or copper with some additives would be the best thing. If someone has spent that much on a power cable, I want to know if its true and what they are thinking?

It's difficult to imagine the logic behind spending big $$$$$$$$$ on cables, whether they may be power, speaker or interconnect, on low to mid priced gear. My brother purchased a custom made interconnect for $600 and lent it to me for a few days to see what I thought. It was beautifully made with fancy colours and heavy plugs. I thought each cable could do secondary duties as a towrope for my car - they were that thick! I tried really hard to like it. I really did. But I couldn't hear any difference between it and my resident $25 Acoustic Research interconnect. It wasn't any worse, but it certainly wasn't any better.

I should qualify my remarks here. Just because a cable looks and feels fantastic, I've been around too long to accept things at face value. There are many fly by night companies/individuals who would take advantage of poor suckers like my brother to sell what is in reality, poor quality cable dressed up for the prom. Perhaps there is out there, genuine high quality, exotic cable that WILL provide discernable improvement to certain systems. But I think upgarding cable for the more exotic varieties would be very system dependant. I would be very wary of changing or upgrading cable to improve gross tonal inadequacies in my system. Now if I had a perfect system, and wanted to wring the last nth degree of detail out of it, maybe then a bit of 'cable rolling' would be in order.

Not sure what the logic is but the cables in my 2 channel system cost about 1000 USD. That's for a pair of 10' speaker cables and a pair of 3' RCA interconnects. It sounds damn good and provides peace of mind. I won't argue with anybody that says their 12 gauge zip cord sounds just as good. If that's the case then I spent a 1000 dollars on good looking cable. Not unlike somebody that spends 1000 dollars on a brand name outfit. Hey at least it looks good. You can't argue that.

There are people that spend money on boutique items like the jazzed up and all dressed up power cord. But, they can spend their money however they see fit, it's mot mine!

Some people spend a lot of money on a nice house, new car, boat or simply on themselves. We are all individuals and we all have our own eccentricities. But to believe that a cord with a big price tag is going to help out your system, and listening to salesmen coaching you into parting with your money is wrong.