Another tube 'discovery'

dubai2000

So why do my posts disappear when I want to preview them since I am using Firefox as browser????14.gif11.gif

But that's not what I was going to comment on.

I admit that I rather enjoy tube and amp rolling. So lately it was Marantz time again. I had tried a few EL34s and my favourite in terms of tone (very smooth) were cryo Valve Arts. But I had always been interested in 6CA7s and when I could pick up a quad of EIs, I didn't resist 1.gif .

They seemed to be a bit more open, but their tone (rather cool) was not really to my taste. I guess I am more into a bit of tube warmth from time to time, though those extra spatial clues were kind of attractive, too. I asked about the EIs at the AA and it turns out that a fellow inmate uses his 8B with one Valve Art and one 6CA7 per channel (which can be biased separately). Well, the tubes being at hand I gave it a try and so far I really like what I am hearing: a nice combination of clarity and warmth.

I guess I could/should have come up with the idea myself, but somehow this mixing didn't occur to me. I guess sometimes one really lacks imagination 9.gif .

Anyway, big thanks to all forum members who share their aural experiences. I guess there is always a chance of picking up something new - so keep on posting!

Wolfram

I think you may have a problem here...if I understand the way a PP amp works, then one tube creates one side of the wave (the UP or PUSH side) and one tube the other side (the down or PULL side), if this is so then the exact matching of tubes is crucial to ensure an accurate recreation of a symmetrical waveform. If the tubes are not perfectly matched this results in a malformed waveform. That is why one is to try his best to find perfectly matched pairs of output tubes no? so if you use two different tubes are you not virtually guaranteeing a malformed waveform result? or have you had these pairs curve-matched? regards, tony

----------------

On 9/21/2004 9:37:30 AM dubai2000 wrote:

I know it's off topic, but why is Firefox noticeably faster than IE?

----------------

Staying off-topic...IE is just a fat program compared to Firefox. I used to use Mozilla but Firefox is just like Mozilla-Lite. It runs quicker because you don't have all the extra crap like newsreaders and messaging stuff built into the browser; these are still available with Firefox, they just let you download them as plug-ins, so you can pick and choose what functionality you want 10.gif. I don't recall having problems previewing my posts using Firefox at home...maybe you don't have the newest version? Sorry I can't help more specifically.

Tony,

I see what you mean, but remember that with the Marantz you can bias each tube separately, hence no matched quads are necessary in this particular case and as both - EL34s and 6CA7s (though different tubes)- can be used, I think it should be fine (but what do I know of technology 9.gif ?)

Matt,

to be honest, I know even less of computers than of the inside of amps 9.gif , so perhaps my version of Firefox (downloaded from a link on my provider's homepage) might indeed not be the latest version. I'll check it.....and have found that it seems to be the latest version. Well, preview isn't all that important....

Wolfram

Here is another interesting AA post by Jim McShane on new production tubes. His recommendations:

"Sovtek - 12AX7LPS, 2A3, 6B4G

EH - KT-88, EL34 (more for guitar amps than audio), 6CA7, 7591A, 6SN7, probably the 7868 too

JJ - EL84, maybe the 6V6GT (a bit too new to tell)

Ei - KT-90, 12AX7/ECC83, 6FQ7 (in all cases ONLY IF properly made)

SED/"Flying C" (formerly known in the USA as Svetlana) - 6L6GC, EL34 (for audio use)

China (most appear with many different brands on them) - KT66, 5AR4, 845

There are others that are good, but the ones I listed above I would rank above good, definitely excellent."

Of course I'd add those cryo Valve Art EL34 2.gif .

Wolfram

I own a Cayin TA 30 that is using Svetlana EL 34's that sound very good but I'm going to order 4 EH 6CA7 just to try them. You can bias each tube individualy on this amp also so if Paul says it won't hurt the amp then after I've listened to the amp with the 6CA7s then maybe I'll put 2 of each in. Off topic but still about tubes I'm thinking about buying the Jolida JD 100A cd player and what would be good tubes to replace the stock ones?

Xman