Anyone used BetterCables.com ?

damonrpayne

If you can wait a week, I will give you my impressions. Ironically, just ordered two sets yesterday - one set of blue truth to run from my Jolida tubed CD player to my Peach and another set from the Peach to my Rotel amp. My existing cables have been adequate, and I didn't really NEED new ones, but you know how that goes.

I've read positive experiences of Silver Serpent owners, and I've run those interconnects with my subs. Based on the various Silver Serpent experiences, I thought the company's premiere cables were worth a shot. I am trying to perform some final tweeks to my system, and with the 30 day money-back guarantee, the cables seemed worth the risk. Mine will be here Thursday, and I'll give them a go this weekend. Let you know.

Carl.

Damon - if you're thinking about silver cables, you owe it to yourself to get in touch with Ernest Farley of ELF Custom Cables, he operates over on AudiogoN under audiophile36. I have no affiliation with Ernest, although he will know me as a customer if you mention Art from texas sent you. He makes unbelievable silver IC's and SC's and is reasonably priced with a 30day guarantee. I've been through many many cables, and none have touched what Ernest does at a fraction of the cost.

Carl- how are you liking the Jolida 100? Is the redbook a huge step up over the Denon? Curious because i have a 2900 and am looking at the Jolida. Who did the mods? Did you hear it stock before having it modded? Sorry, just curious as I'm right smack in the middle of this decision making process.

Art:

I absolutely love the Jolida. I had it on constant repeat for the entire week until it broke in (200 hours), and by Friday night, it was ready. My redbook performance is a drastic departure from the 2900's redbook performance, even with the 2900 set on pure direct (no display, no picture). Believe it or not, this unit is even more detailed than the 2900, and with an even broader soundstage. The imaging is superb, and the mate with my Peach, tube pre/amp is heaven. Very, very smooth - yet exceptionally detailed at the same time. Also, plenty of tight bass punch. So much so I had to move my RF-7s back out from the corners - back to their recommended placement distance away from the rear ports. Finally....my redbook sounds as good as my SACD/DVD-Audio (actually better for some songs). This weekend was lots of high volume demoing of everything from jazz to metal, with no ear fatigue.

I opted for the Underwood mod that Walter Liederman coordinates (Parts Connexion). WWW.Underwoodhifi.com. This is one of the more extensive JD-100 modifications. Most mods just swap out the tubes and add increased damping inside the player. Honestly, I cannot compare this mod to a stock, unmodified unit. However, one concern I had was a light modded Jolida was potential for a slight lack of dynamic range and detail. Since the detailed Connexion mod claimed to increase the overall detail and high end response of the player, I decided to take the chance. I am glad I did because the modded player I have is a perfect fit in my system. Very dynamic and detailed.

That being said, I think you would also do well with a standard, light- modded JD-100 (just tube swapped, damping etc.)

Just for your information, I also considered the AH and the Heart. I decided on the Jolida because of: 1) build quality (like a tank); 2) more perceived punch in the lower end (from reviews); and 3) dual set of analog outputs (I also run one pair to my SS Classe pre/pro).

Good luck in shopping and keep us posted.

However, in my opinion, the Jolida is money well spent.

Carl.

----------------

Has anyone bought cables from
. That may be misspelled. They have OFC and tinned plated and silver plated wire in various gauges and at what seems to be good prices.

----------------

I have used their cables for nearly two years and consider them great value. I started with their Krystal Konnects to connect the 7 channels of my processor and 5 channels of my SACD player to my processor and amps when I had no money left in my budget after buying my gear, and I couldn't let myself use the interconnects that came with the components. I recently upgraded that to their new eKs silver plated interconnects and am very, very pleased. I had the opportunity to do a blind AB with StraightWire Rhapsody IIs and the results were very favorable.

To Damon

Before jumping on Bettercables, another brand you should investigate is CAT Cables. Their Silver Cat interconnects and silver digital interconnect cables receive very high praise from the members of Club Rotel over at HT Guide Forums. They are top quality hand made cables, with lots of customization options. Catcables.com is where to go.

Jerry Rappaport

• 2 weeks later...

The Bettercables, Blue Truths are all hooked up, and they sound great. The silver and copper together appears to be a nice mix. Smooth on the top end, but with plenty of bass response. I have a slight reduction in my soundstage from my former cables, but much overall improved smoothness in the midrange and upper frequencies. They are a keeper. Also, kudos to their customer service. They found me a nice brass two-way splitter. But that's another story.....

The experiment of adding tubes on two stages of the front end is an unqualified success. Now I can listen to even the hardest stuff at very high volumes, even on the "classic Blueberry" setting (sweet -- and what detail). Hearing RF-7s like this truly takes your breath away. And of course, continued props to Mark Deneen. His Peach is truly outstanding. Everyone should try one.

Juicy.

Carl.