Using KG-4's with surround sound?

DogsPart2

I'm thinking of updating to a new surround sound amp. I want to use my KG-4's in the set-up. Since my KG-4's have such a great bass sound would it be possible to do a 5 speaker set-up without a powered subwoofer?

I would also like to use new Klipsch speakers for the front and center speakers. Which ones would go well with my KG-4's?

Thanks!

Chuck

Chuck,

I think you would be pleased with using the KG4s for your surround system. The main problem I found when setting up my system was that the Klipsch speakers were so efficent, that the center and rear channel volumes really had to be cranked up. I might add that those center and rear speakers were not Klipsch.

With KG4s as your mains, you might not need a sub, but having one sure adds a nice "punch." How the KG4s would perform as center and rear is a good question. You'll need some really efficent main speakers, otherwise all you'll hear will be the center and rear.

As you can see, I ended up putting my KG4s on the right and left. I had to get a sub because the LaScalas didn't have the needed low end and the KG4s couldn't provide the bass that I wanted.

However, you're on the right track.

Good luck,

Dave in Nashville

Chuck,

First, welcome to the forum.

If I am not mistaken, and I very well could be since I am new to HT, multi-channel stuff has information in the sub or LFE track that is not sent to the mains. That means that you would be missing that track without the sub. Also, about 80% of the sound in HT goes to the center channel so your KG-4s would not be seeing very much of the audio information. (Read that - the center channel is very important in a surround sound system!)

Another thread that should be in the HT area, but.....

----------------

On 9/23/2004 12:36:34 AM scriven wrote:

Chuck,

First, welcome to the forum.

If I am not mistaken, and I very well could be since I am new to HT, multi-channel stuff has information in the sub or LFE track that is not sent to the mains. That means that you would be missing that track without the sub. Also, about 80% of the sound in HT goes to the center channel so your KG-4s would not be seeing very much of the audio information. (Read that - the center channel is very important in a surround sound system!)

----------------

This is true to a point. The material is recorded the way that you mention, but any receiver or processor worth it's salt should be able to compensate. Setting the processor to no sub should send any LFE information to the mains. What you will lose is any content below the output capabilities of you mains.

The same holds true for the center channel information. Set the center channel to off and that "80%" goes to the mains. It is not lost.

A 4.0 system does not mean that you will lose any information, it only means that you will lose some of the wiz bang aspect of having more speakers and a tighter sweet spot.

Dog, to answer your question on the KG's as surrounds yes.

Check my sig. If you can swing it I would go with the RF-7 and

RC-7 as the mains and center. In terms of Sub I would get one.

The big advantage on having a sub it that you do not have to

crank the volume of system in order to hear/feel the explosions.

Chuck,

Ideally you'd want three identical speakers across the front but if that isn't possible they need to sound similar. Using five KG4 speakers all the way around should work very well. If you want to upgrade from KG4, but keep the two you have, put them in the left and right surround positions and buy three new speakers for the front.

I find music preferable without a sub but you would probably want one if your set-up is going to be used for movies too.

If you can find one; try a klf c7 center.

If you do not like it they have a very good resale value.

Be careful with spending too much money on subs.

If poorly integrated they can be very directional and adversely affect soundstage.

More macho than musical in nearly all implementations I have heard.

The now-only-available-used KV-2 and KV-3 were the designed/designated center speaker for the KG series. I used a KV-3 with my KG-4s and it was a very nice match.

While the bass in the KG-4 is strong for a speaker of that size, I found tremendous improvement by adding a sub.

For rears, I got SS-1s, which were just fine and not as spendy as the Reference series.