ground loop?equals hum

Rickieheinz

That's an old trick we used to use in the music biz if we happened to play a gig at a venue that had poor wiring. We'd lift the ground and reverse the plug. The downfall of course is that the musicians holding their electrified instruments were more prone to receiving a shock. It's amazing how bright the spark can be that jumps from a singing electric guitarist's lips to the microphone! 6.gif {Very true!}

The hum could be an indication of some problem in your home's electrical system. It's more common in older homes. A good-quality line filter may work as well. Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us. 2.gif

OK - I am out of this one - my brain cells have fused - too much coffee probably - really wired now.

(But wasnt the conductor line clever - though I say it myself - a double pun that one - on cord and on electricity. Ah well - I am running out of bits of ciruits to use - not technical enough - always shielded myself from these things. In fact the only remaining item I know of is diode - and I could figure out how to use that (forum imitating life?).)

----------------

On 9/27/2004 6:39:33 AM picky wrote:

That's an old trick we used to use in the music biz if we happened to play a gig at a venue that had poor wiring. We'd lift the ground and reverse the plug. The downfall of course is that the musicians holding their electrified instruments were more prone to receiving a shock. It's amazing how bright the spark can be that jumps from a singing electric guitarist's lips to the microphone! "<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif"> {Very true!}

The hum could be an indication of some problem in your home's electrical system. It's more common in older homes. A good-quality line filter may work as well. Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us. "<ahttp://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

Except that I had this house built just 10 yrs ago. Never had any electrical problems except for this.I don't know what causes ground loops.