Krell and Klipsch ref 3 speakers

Osinoff

I have adcom 506 pre and 5400 amp driving my Klipsch. Lower volumes are lifeless and upper harsh with little in the middle.

I'm a poet. I went to the local saylavee money upgrade audio dealer and plopped 2800 on a new Krell 400 integrated amp and Mcintosh Tuner. Please tell me it will show me the class sound I am looking for.I'm out of money, kids college.

As per other comments on this very forum a number of people hear the same things that you do with the Adcom gear. McIntosh and Krell, it does not get better than that I would think the improvement would be very significant and easily perceptible. What are you using for a source unit?

I dunno.

I imagine that if you're looking for a front end upgrade from Adcom, you've certainly accomplished that. I can't help but think that you've just spent a ton of money on an integrated and a tuner that, while excellent in their own right, are overkill for the RF-3's.

I own a pair of RF-3's and power them with a vintage Marantz 1060 (recapped), and the sound is wonderful. Didn't spend much, but I hung around various sites like this, saw what other folks have had success with, and parked some cash on an option that was effective, and fit my budget.

As with all things audio, there is always plenty of room for dissenting opinions. However, The gear you've just described, I'm sure, put you WELL above $1000, maybe closer to $2000, for a set of speakers that is going for about about 1/4 of that. Just seems to me to be alot of cabbage for gear, and the RF-3's have demonstrated that they can be pretty happy with gear that is alot further down the $$$ scale.

On the positive side, I can't imagine the RF-3's sounding poor with the gear you've just described. If it does, I'd have to think that the problem lies elsewhere. Speaker placement, listenting position, room accousitcs play major roles in how ANY speaker sounds. Experimenting with speaker placement in a room could result in the cheapest, but most effective, upgrade.

Well, here's my suggestion, you've got the quality of gear that REALLY could last you the rest of your life and that you would be hard pressed to do better musically for the investment already made.

The weakest part of the system is now the speakers. Why not get something that at least matches the quality of the gear and would also perform at that level for the rest of your life, too.

Khorns would certainly fit that criteria. They perform at a level that would make the most of the quality of music that the gear is capable of producing.

Used, they run from about $1800 to $4000 a pair, depending on age and condition. New they run about $7500 a pair.

Other Heritage horn speakers, like the Belle or even a set of La Scala's would also suffice, but the top of the Klipsch heritage line is the Klipschorn.

I'm a fan of fully-loaded horn speakers, so that's what I recommend.

DM2.gif

i have to disagree, i have the 3's, and they will play anything that is thrown at them, the mac and krell will make them perform in ways you cannot imagine, you will hear high highs and very low lows, i think it just might be on a higher order to get your source straightened out, once i pluged my krell cd player in, i just cant compare my other gear, and it just makes my speakers open up, although the heritage speaks are always prefered, the speaker wont sound better if the source is not on par. try using the optical outs on your nad and using the dac's on your pre, this shoud help out some12.gif

The Krell integrated amp made a big difference. I am hearing sounds out of Springsteins album I never heard with my Adcom or

Denon. This stuff gets expensive but it makes a difference. My ref 3 speakers sound better than better ones at freinds homes, theirs driven by Onkyo and Denon components.