Pulling the trigger

SCOOTERDOG

Ok I have got the semi ok from the wife to pull the trigger on the Infocus SP4805. 16.gif. For the time being I will be running just component inputs to it. First I have 4 components that all have component and SVHS outputs. However, The HD sat receiver has component and DVI output and the DVD has component and SCART outputs. The Infocus has the following inputs. 1 Component, 1 standard AV, 1 SVHS, 1 DVD/M1

My questions are as follows:

Since I am not adding a scaler at this time I am limited to how I hook things up. Should I run everthing component in to my Denon AV3801 and just send the signal out via component cables to the Infocus?

Or should I do the above and run a seperate DVI cable from the HD Tuner to the Infocus.

I am not familier with the use of SCART output on my dvd player. Is this similar to a DVI output?

Obviously I would like to keep it as simple as possible for the rest of the family. I personally don't care if I have to switch various buttons but trying to explain to the wife and kids you need to push this button for that and that button for this, you know what I mean?

I looked at the DVDO Ultra and have seen them on ebay for abot 450 or so but trying to explain how that ended up in the rack would not be easy.

Feedback would be great.

Scooter

Depending on your AV receiver capabilities, I would recommend that avenue for several inputs and just one output to the Infocus. Advantages of ease of use, flexibility, and programability will outweigh the minor signal loss you might see by not going directly to the projector.

All my feeds go through my HALO processor and then to my PJ. A HUGE advantage is that if you have or acquire a programable remote, you can have one button access to all the gear for your family.

I set my macro programmable remote to have one button for listening to CD's, and one for watching movies, one for HDTV etc. The macro turns on the appropriate gear, sets all the settings necessary in the projector and the processor. Otherwise, my wife and kid would not be able to easily watch a movie or listen to music without hours of lessons on what to do. Frankly, my wife would not go through that.

Bottom line, keep it simple!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I know if I had it hooked up any differently my family would hate me. I think the Denon is pretty good at distributing video sources. Although I will add the DVDO in the future to help with distribution and upgrade the PQ. Just have to figure away to do so. I think I'll take my wife over to Jackpot tomorrow for some appreciation.2.gif

Scooterdog, I would run the video signal directly from your DVD player straight into the projector. That's the way I do mine. In my opinion, this connection facility offers a cleaner signal with fewer artifacts. Scart is one of those funny Europeans plugs. As far as I know scart conveys an RGB type signal.

Scooterdog, I have a similar AV receiver, Denon AVR3803. For the sake of an argument I did an A/B comparison between direct connection to the TV vs running all my video inputs to the receiver, allowing it to do all the necessary signal upconversion/switching. No matter how hard I was looking at the screen I could not detect any added noise or signal loss or any other artifact when the component video signals were routed through the receiver. AVR3803 (and I hope that relates to 3801 as well) has an HD compatible 100 Mhz switching bandwidth which is more than enough for even switching HD signal, leaving aside SD/ED. Therefore I second those guys who advise to run the cables through the receiver. You will benefit by reducing cable clutter and easier operation since you would no longer need to change inputs on your PJ.