New Phono Cartridge

cjmice1

CM,

I guess I am kind of blind, but somehow I cannot find info on your current system. Anyway, I still believe that the Garrott P-77 is a great MM cartridge. Available at the www.needledoctor.com, but as been stated above: there are other options around....I just think this one IS hard to beat 9.gif .

Wolfram

Greetings,

In my own system I've used the following cartridges with the following "results":

* Sumiko Blue Point Special - Airy top end with a bit of "fizz" on cymbal crashes; extended bass but a bit lean in the mid-bass; good output. Re-tip is expensive.

* Sure V15 - Smooth highs and mids; punchy bass; decent output. Re-tip is moderate.

* Ortofon OM5E - High output, very dynamic, clear and precise highs and mids; perhaps not as "refined" as the Sure or as "hi-fi" as the Sumiko. Re-tip is inexpensive.

Of course, everyone's results and expectations will vary, but of the three cartridges I've used I greatly prefer Ortofon. The OM5E is their least expensive cartridge - about $80 as I recall - and I prefer it to the more expensive Sumiko and Sure. (Soon I'll be getting Ortofon's best moving-magnet cartridge, which will cost no more than the Sumiko and Sure.)

The advice about the Needle Doctor is good - you'll see a wide variety of cartridges along with intelligent reviews. You'll also get a good idea of what will fit into your budget.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

Sorry about missing the profile. I'm running Forte (Threshold)Class A electronics through 1983 Klipschorns w/ recently added ALK crossovers. The turntable is a JVC with a 17 year old Japanese, moving coil cartridge marketed by Klipsch back in the middle 80's. The pre-amp has the ability to use either MC or MM cartridges. Does the fact that I'm considering single ended tube amps as an addition to the system make a difference in the selection of the cartridge? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Later this week, I'll post my experiences with the crossover project.

Sorry about missing the profile. I'm running Forte (Threshold)Class A electronics through 1983 Klipschorns w/ recently added ALK crossovers. The turntable is a JVC with a 17 year old Japanese, moving coil cartridge marketed by Klipsch back in the middle 80's. The pre-amp has the ability to use either MC or MM cartridges. Does the fact that I'm considering single ended tube amps as an addition to the system make a difference in the selection of the cartridge? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Later this week, I'll post my experiences with the crossover project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CM